Rankings and Honors
McKool Smith has established a national reputation and proven track record of success in high stakes bet the company litigation. The firm is consistently recognized for excellence by many of the world’s leading legal publications and rankings. Some of our recent honors and awards include:
Chambers USA ranks the leading firms and lawyers in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America. The research is in-depth and client-focused and the guide is read by industry-leading companies and organizations across the US and worldwide.
- Ranked nationally as a leading firm for Intellectual Property Litigation “McKool Smith is particularly good at recognizing a client’s objectives and then implementing a strategy to achieve those objectives.”
- Ranked as a leading Commercial Litigation firm in Texas “A terrific firm. The gold standard … they're certainly not afraid of the court house."
- Ranked as a leading Intellectual Property firm in Texas “They are fantastic - always our first choice.”
- Ranked as a leading White-Collar Crime and Government Investigations Firm in New York (2010) “Smart, creative lawyers who get great results.”
- 10 attorneys ranked as individual leaders in their
The Legal 500
Published for over twenty years, the Legal 500 Series provides the most comprehensive worldwide coverage currently available on legal services providers, in over 100 countries.
- Ranked nationally as a leading firm for Intellectual Property - Patent
Litigation. “A very professional and focused firm that has its clients’ commercial
interests at heart”
- 7 attorneys recognized as leading U.S. patent litigators
- Ranked nationally as a leading firm for Intellectual Property - Patent Litigation. “A very professional and focused firm that has its clients’ commercial interests at heart”
Benchmark is the only publication on the market to focus exclusively on litigation in the US. The guide’s results are the culmination of a six-month research period that allows our researchers to conduct extensive interviews with litigators and their clients.
- Ranked nationally as a leading Intellectual Property firm
- Ranked as a "Highly Recommended litigation firm in Texas
- Named 2012 "IP Firm of the Year (South)"
- 12 McKool Smith attorneys ranked as "Litigation Stars" in their field
The Best Lawyers in America
Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. Best Lawyers compiles lists of outstanding attorneys by conducting exhaustive peer-review surveys in which thousands of leading lawyers confidentially evaluate their professional peers.
18 McKool Smith attorneys ranked as individual leaders in their field.
Chambers Global identifies leading firms in over 180 countries through extensive research with thousands of lawyers and their clients.
- Ranked as a leading U.S. intellectual property litigation firm
- 2 attorneys ranked as leading Trial Lawyers
McKool Smith was selected as an “Intellectual Property Firm of the Year”. Law360 is the only news source that covers the entire spectrum of practice areas every single business day. The firm was selected due to four significant IP cases, including a $290 million judgment and injunction for i4i Inc. against Microsoft, a $267.5 million settlement for Visto Corp. against Blackberry maker Research in Motion, a $139 million verdict for Versata Software Inc. against enterprise software provider SAP, and a $19 million verdict for OPTi Inc. against Apple.
Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000
McKool Smith received top national and regional rankings in the inaugural edition of IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners.
- Recommended Nationally for Plaintiff Litigation
- Ranked Gold Tier in Texas for Patent Litigation
- 5 attorneys named as top patent practitioners
Managing Intellectual Property
Managing IP is the leading global resource for IP news and analysis, and covers all aspects of IP law and practice, focusing on the business and practical issues of importance to IP owners.
- Named 2012 "Plaintiff IP Firm of the Year."
- "Outstanding IP Litigator - Texas" awarded to attorney Sam Baxter.
- Awarded 2011 “Patent Case of the Year,” an honor received for securing a $290 million jury verdict on behalf of client i4i, Inc. in a patent infringement suit against Microsoft.
- Awarded 2011 top patent firm in the southern U.S.
- Named one of the top four patent litigation firms in the nation.
The editors of MIP said the firm has “distinguished itself litigating patent infringement cases for companies like i4i and VirnetX Holdings. It has scored a number of wins against Microsoft, totaling nearly $400 million.”
The National Law Journal
McKool Smith has been listed in The National Law Journal “Midsize Hot List” for three consecutive years. The List is a compilation of the country’s leading law firms based on the implementation of “creative, innovative strategies.”
ACQ Finance Magazine
ACQ Finance Magazine has recognized McKool Smith as the New York “Law Firm of the Year” in Commercial Litigation, Patent Litigation, and Insolvency and Restructuring.
The ACQ annual “Law Awards” are presented across 33 geographical regions to recognize and salute the organizations and advisers that have performed to exceptional levels. Winners are determined by an independent poll of industry professionals.ACQ Finance Magazine is a business publication that focuses on in-depth features, expert commentary and light-hearted viewpoints mixed with straight-line transaction news and analysis on deal making.
Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent Litigation 250
McKool Smith’s patent litigation practice has been recognized in Intellectual Asset Management's (IAM) 2011 Patent Litigation 250, a comprehensive listing of the “World's Leading Patent Litigators.”
- Received national honors for both its patent litigation and patent litigation plaintiffs’ work, in addition to being ranked as a Tier 1 patent litigation firm in Texas.
According to the directory, McKool Smith has “become huge in the market and does an exceptional job representing its clients,” having achieved “outstanding verdicts” as a result of its “superb and well-documented trial expertise.”
Corporate Counsel magazine listed two McKool Smith verdicts, i4i v. Microsoft andVersata v. SAP, among the “10 Biggest IP Litigation Wins of 2011.”
McKool Smith has been named the 2011 “Insolvency & Restructuring Firm of the Year” by Finance Monthly magazine for consistently delivering excellence in this practice area within the legal profession. The award recognizes firms that have dedicated their resources to innovation, built on their depth of expertise, and performed outstandingly over the past year.
U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers 2012 "Best Law Firms"
McKool Smith is ranked as follows:
- Ranked as a leading national firm for both Intellectual Property and Commercial Litigation
- Ranked as leading firm in Dallas for Banking & Finance, Bankruptcy, Commercial, Intellectual Property, Patent, M&A, Condemnation, and Securities Litigation
- Ranked as a leading firm in Austin for both Intellectual Property and Patent Litigation
- Ranked as a leading firm in Houston for both Bankruptcy Litigation and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Ranked as a leading firm in New York for Commercial Litigation