Robert M. Manley: Representative Commercial/Investment Matters
- The “Frienemies” Multistate Series of Arbitrations – Robert tried a series of nationwide arbitrations for a startup company in the cellular recycling ecosystem against an industry giant involving theft of trade secrets, unfair competition, breach of joint-venture agreements, and improper accounting issues. The parties initially entered multiple joint-ventures, but later found working together impossible before engaging in a multi-front series of litigations and arbitrations.
- Wells Fargo, et al. v. UBS Warburg Real Estate Securities and UBS PaineWebber – Successfully represented holders of mortgage-backed securities in the PaineWebber Acceptance Corporation V Commercial Mortgage Pass-Through Certificates Series 1999-C1 in a lawsuit involving a $592 million pool of securitized mortgages that failed at a much higher rate than expected.
- Myklatun, et al v. Halliburton Energy Services, Inc., et al. – Represented Halliburton in a dispute arising out of a distribution agreement involving micro-emulsions used in hydraulic fracturing in the North Sea. The dispute centered on the terms of and the accounting for the parties’ license, and the accounting for licensed surfactants.
- Cloyce Talbott, et al. v. Deutsche Bank Securities – Represented investors in an AlexBrown/Deutsche Bank exchange funds in a lawsuit against the fund, its asset managers, and its officers and directors following the fund’s collapse. Robert recovered multiples of their original investment for his clients.
- Fidelity Investments v. Las Colinas Land Partnership – Helped Fidelity successfully resolve a dispute over developers’ obligations involving the Las Colinas Business Park near Dallas/Fort Worth. The case involved municipal utility district designations and other obligations based on the interpretation of original historic agreements and the meaning of subsequent business developments that occurred nearly 20 years later.
- Bailey, et al. v. Shell Oil Company and Exxon Mobil Corporation – Represented royalty and overriding royalty interest holders of the McElmo Dome CO2 formation against developers and operators in a lawsuit to recover unpaid royalties.
- Garst, et al. v. CenturyTel, Inc. – Represented CenturyTel in a lawsuit brought by shareholders as a result of CenturyTel’s acquisition of the Embarq Corporation.
- Monosite, Inc. v. Northern Telecom, et al. – Represented Monosite, a start-up in the telecommunications cell-tower manufacturing industry, in a trade secrets and tortious interference lawsuit against Northern Telecom. The cased focused on certain non-disclosure agreements signed by the companies covering certain proprietary monopole designs and manufacturing processes.
- In re: AgriBioTech, Inc. – Represented BearingPoint in an adversary proceeding brought by AgriBioTech’s Bankruptcy Trustee against its officers, directors, auditors, and consultants involving claims that BearingPoint’s four-year, nationwide implementation of computer systems caused or contributed to AgriBioTech’s insolvency.