- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Whistleblower/False Claims Act Litigation
- Antitrust Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Energy Litigation
- Fiduciary Duty Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions Litigation
- Corporate Governance
- Business and Securities Valuation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Arbitration and ADR
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- ITC/Section 337 Litigation
- Copyright, Trademark, and False Advertising Litigation
- Trade Secrets and Restrictive Covenant Litigation
- White Collar Defense
- Government Investigations
- Internal Investigations
- Antitrust Investigations
- McKool Smith Opens Silicon Valley Office with the Addition of Courtland Reichman
- Hennigan Dorman Joins McKool Smith
- McKool Smith Secures Punitive Damages Against Liz Clairborne and Lucky Brand
- Marcel Fashions, GET LUCKY Win Trademark Infringement Verdict
- Partial Summary Judgment and Injunction in Trademark Lawsuit
News & Events
- Douglas A. Cawley Named “Litigator of the Year” and McKool Smith Named “IP Firm of the Year” by Benchmark Litigation
- "McKool Taps IP Wiz to Head New Silicon Valley Office"
- "McKool Smith Makes Move in Silicon Valley"
- McKool Smith Named “IP Firm of the Year” by Benchmark Litigation
- McKool Smith Recognized in 2011 National Law Journal "Midsize Hot List"
- McKool Smith's Intellectual Property and White Collar Defense Practices Recognized in 2010 Chambers USA rankings
- McKool Smith Named 2010 Top Four Patent Litigation Firm by Managing Intellectual Property
- Los Angeles Daily Journal Ranks McKool Smith Hennigan as a "Leading Southern California Litigation Firm"
Copyright, Trademark, and False Advertising Litigation
Copyrights and trademarks are often among a company’s most valuable assets. Our attorneys appear before the U.S. Copyright Office, the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and in district courts across the country to assist both plaintiffs and defendants in obtaining, protecting, and enforcing their intellectual property, and in negotiating favorable distribution and licensing arrangements. We offer clients effective counsel to prosecute and defend copyright infringement claims. When litigation is necessary, our trial lawyers provide formidable representation to obtain jury verdicts, summary judgments, seizure orders, or injunctions for our clients. Our lawyers have been retained to protect the world’s most valuable trademarks.
Our attorneys have significant experience in copyright and trademark litigation, which includes acting as lead counsel for Sharman Networks Limited, the owners of Kazaa, a peer-to-peer music and video sharing application, in its defense of the largest copyright infringement suit in the world at that time. Our attorneys successfully argued for application of the doctrine of copyright misuse in a case of first impression in the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Our attorneys also have deep experience in false advertising litigation. They are well versed in handling these complex and often sensitive issues before district courts as well as the Federal Trade Commission and the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. These cases often involve high-stakes emergency injunctive proceedings. Our attorneys have expertise and established protocols for successfully navigating temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction hearings.