- J.D., The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 2006. Moot Court Governing Board, Chief Justice; Ohio State Law Journal, Associate Editor; Entrepreneurial Business Law Journal, Co-Founder; Business Law Society, President; Topper Eagle Award, Outstanding Student Administrator; Topper Memorial Award; 2006 Moritz Ambassador
- A.L.B., Harvard University, cum laude, 2003. Dean’s List
- State of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Ivan Wang is an associate in the Dallas office of McKool Smith. Mr. Wang has participated in intellectual property and complex commercial litigation disputes in federal courts nationwide, including the United States International Trade Commission and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. His experience includes all aspects of cases, from initial analysis and evaluation to trial and appeals. Mr. Wang has been engaged in various matters ranging in complexity from two-party breach of contract actions to multi-party patent disputes involving hundreds of patent claims in multi-district litigation. He has counseled clients regarding business, repository, and resource issues, complying with company policies and risk tolerance. Mr. Wang has experience in numerous technical fields including cellular technology, hardware and software design and development, semiconductors, telecommunications, telephony technology, and wireless networking.
Mr. Wang worked for Accenture (formerly Andersen Consulting, L.L.P.), where he held the positions of US Operations Lead, Cross-Functional Consultant Specialist for Solutions Engineering Knowledge Management (SE KM); Lead Designer, for the SE KM Organization Web site; Project Manager, Enterprise Integration Opportunity Database, which managed over $300 million of the firm’s knowledge capital and; Information Management, Analyst. While at Accenture, he also developed Lotus Notes databases and coded in HTML.
Mr. Wang speaks Mandarin Chinese.
- American Airlines. Defended American Airlines in various patent infringement suits; drafted post-bankruptcy motions to dismiss for cases securing dismissals for American.
- CyberFone Systems LLC (District of Delaware) involving telecommunications technologies
- Loyalty Conversion Systems Corp. (Eastern District of Texas) involving exchanging rewards program credits; drafted covered business method petition
- Macrosolve Inc (Eastern District of Texas) involving data management technologies
- Ronald A. Katz Technology Licensing (MDL proceeding, Central District of California) involving interactive call processing patents; assisted in the appeal before the Federal Circuit; represented American Airlines in all aspects of the case from 2006 through dismissal with prejudice in 2014
- Unified Messaging (MDL proceeding, Northern District of Illinois) involving website technology enabling email or email-like communications with customers or users
- Walker Digital LLC (District of Delaware) involving ticket purchasing technologies and related features to customers
- BearingPoint. Member of team that represented BearingPoint, Inc., formerly KPMG Consulting, in an arbitration matter; conducted research and provided support to team.
- CenturyTel. Represented CenturyTel in a complex commercial litigation matter involving business transactions, shareholders, and securities issues related to satellite earth station and communications facility and services; researched issues; draft motions.
- Electronic Data Systems Corporation. Member of team that represented EDS in patent infringement actions including a patent action in the Eastern District of Texas involving image-based check processing; conducted research and provided support to team.
- Eolas Technologies Inc. Represented Eolas in a patent infringement suit regarding advanced browser technology involving embedded applications; deposed fact and expert witnesses; drafted motions and successfully moved the court to find a preclusion issue relating to certain metrics in the client’s favor; member of trial team managing evidence and case against specific defendants.
- Ericsson. Member of teams that represented Ericsson in various matters; analyzed license agreements and researched legal issues in a patent infringement action against Samsung; participated in discovery matters against DLink; managed domestic industry tasks and discovery projects and initial discovery plan against Apple before the International Trade Commission.
- Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac). Represented Freddie Mac in complex commercial litigation alleging violation of duties and professional standards and negligent misrepresentation against Deloitte & Touche LLP relating to fraud involving Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corporation and Colonial Bank; conducted case analysis for planning litigation strategy; counseled client and engaged with expert on analysis; participated in numerous depositions.
- FotoMedia Technologies. Represented FotoMedia Technologies in patent infringement actions involving photo-sharing technologies; analyzed infringement; researched various issues.
- KeyBank and SunTrust. Member of trial team that defended against DataTreasury Corporation’s patent infringement action related to electronic check imaging; participated and led meet and confers against opposing counsel on evidentiary issues.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation. Participated on team that represented Lockheed in complex commercial matters involving antitrust, anti-competition, and trade secrets related to various aircraft parts and systems; conducted research and provided support to team.
- LML Patent Corp. Represented LML in a patent infringement matter related to checkwriting point of sale system; researched issues; led exhibit list meet and confers with opposing counsel; drafted motions and successfully opposed a motion to stay pending reexamination.
- MOSAID. Represented MOSAID in a patent infringement matter involving 802.11 technologies; provided translation abilities for deposition team in Taiwan.
- ParkerVision. Represented ParkerVision against Qualcomm in the Middle District of Florida in a patent infringement action involving direct conversion receiver technology for use in high-performance wireless telecommunications devices; researched issues; drafted motions.
- Safeway Inc. Represented Safeway, Randall’s Food & Drugs LP, and Blackhawk Marketing, Inc. in a complex commercial and trade secret matter and patent infringement action involving fuel dispensing systems and product discount/incentive methods and systems; analyzed non-infringement; researched issues and drafted motions and successfully moved to transfer venue.
- VirnetX. Represented VirnetX against Apple before the International Trade Commission in a patent infringement investigation involving encryption technologies; managed day-to-day operations of the investigation with team; led discovery meet and confers; drafted motions and discovery; defended and deposed witnesses; drafted witness statements.
Professional & Community Activities
- Dallas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Austin Asian American Bar Association
- Dallas Asian American Bar Association
- Minority Bar Association
- January 16, 2015