- J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 2011
- M.B.A., University of Houston, C.T. Bauer College of Business, 2011
- B.S., Geography, United States Military Academy, 2003
Andrew Cobos is an associate in McKool Smith’s Houston office. Andrew focuses on complex commercial and bankruptcy litigation, including claims to recover fraudulent conveyances and preferential transfers, claims against officers and directors, claims involving auditor liability, and representation of whistleblowers in major False Claims Act cases.
Andrew earned his Bachelor of Science degree from the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York. He was commissioned as a U.S. Army officer, and held positions as Platoon Leader, Executive Officer, and Unit Mentor and Trainer. As a lieutenant, he conducted security operations with the Secret Service for the President and Air Force One. Andrew also deployed twice to combat in Iraq, where he planned and led security operations during the Iraqi Constitutional Referendum and the Iraqi National Elections. He supervised specialized training and equipment maintenance for over 200 Iraqi police officers and over 100 special operations officers in hostage rescue, terrorism prevention, and combat operations. During his second tour, Andrew was awarded the Bronze Star Medal.
Andrew later earned his law degree and MBA from the University of Houston. During that time, he was appointed by the Texas Governor to the University of Houston System Board of Regents and provided policy guidance and direction for four universities in the University of Houston System.
Andrew is very active in the Houston community and has been recognized by the Texas Junior Chamber of Commerce as “One of Five Outstanding Young Texans," by the Houston Junior Chamber of Commerce as “One of Five Outstanding Young Houstonians,” and by the Houston Business Journal as one of the top “40 under 40” professionals.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member of the Texas Veterans Land Board (Appointed by Texas Governor Greg Abbott)
- Leadership Houston
- Houston Association of Young Bankruptcy Lawyers
- University of Houston Young Professionals for Political Action
- University of Houston Political Action Committee
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
Awards & Recognition
- University of Houston Law Center Distinguished Service Award
- University of Houston Law Center Barksdale Stevens Award
- Bauer College of Business Outstanding Graduate
- March 18, 2015
- October 3, 2013