- J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California at Berkeley, editor California Law Review, 1969.
- M.A., Stanford University, 1966.
- B.A., Stanford University, 1964.
- District of Columbia
- State of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
Brent Rushforth is a principal in the Washington, DC office of McKool Smith. Mr. Rushforth has extensive litigation experience in antitrust and unfair competition, intellectual property and trade regulation. He has represented such clients as VISA, MCI, Cox Communications, Black & Decker, Marriott Corporation and the American Booksellers Association. While serving as Deputy General Counsel of the Department of Defense, Mr. Rushforth was actively involved in the SALT Treaty negotiations.
Antitrust litigation and negotiations with government agencies
- Co-chaired defense of Visa in action in federal district court brought by Department of Justice for alleged violations of §1 of the Sherman Act (decision pending)
- Antitrust Counsel for The Black & Decker Corporation
- Successfully defended Cox Communications and KTVU San Francisco in treble damage and injunction action in federal court and argued appeal (trial court's decision affirmed)
- Successfully defended Cox Communications and Cox Cable in jury trial in federal court treble damage and injunction action and argued appeal (jury verdict affirmed)
- Represented Cox Communications in Department of Justice Investigation of cable television consortium (investigation settled without litigation)
- Represented consortium of cable television companies (including Cox Cable) in seeking Department of Justice approval of a cable programming buying cooperative
Antitrust compliance and counseling work
- As Deputy General Counsel of the Department of Defense, counseled Secretary of Defense on antitrust issues
- Counseled Cox Communications on its antitrust issues for fifteen years: (conducted review of Cox Communications' antitrust compliance and prepared a compliance program)
- Currently provides ongoing counseling, advice and representation to Black & Decker regarding all matters before FTC and Department of Justice including antitrust compliance, mergers and acquisitions
Professional & Community Activities
- Former Chairman, Center for Law in the Public Interest
- January 31, 2012Law360
- January 31, 2012The AmLaw Daily
- October 2, 2012The National Law Journal
- October 3, 2009The New York Times