- J.D., cum laude, St. John’s University School of Law, 2001
- M.S., Environmental Engineering, Tufts University, 1991
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Tufts University, 1990
- The State of New York
- The U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- State Bar of New York
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- New York Intellectual Patent Law Association
Brett Cooper is a Principal in the New York office of McKool Smith. Mr. Cooper is experienced with all aspects of patent litigation. His work includes the development of validity, infringement and inequitable conduct analyses related to patents covering semiconductor packaging, high speed data channel communications, telephone routing networks, and medical devices. He has attended various court hearings (including several before a special master) and successfully briefed and argued a number of disputes. In addition to working on these litigation matters, he has also provided IP advice in connection with corporate transactions.
Prior to law school, Mr. Cooper worked as an engineer for the State of New York and later for a joint venture of Air Products and Chemicals and Browning Ferris Industries called American Ref-Fuel Company which generated energy from refuse and was involved in related business activities.
After graduating from law school, Mr. Cooper served as a law clerk to the Honorable Joanna Seybert, United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Professional & Community Activities
- Registered Engineer in Training (EIT)
- December 21, 2010
- May 21, 2008