- University of Houston, J.D., 2001. Houston Law Review, Order of the Coif, Order of the Barons
- Rice University, PhD, Electrical and Computer Engineering, 1992
- Rice University, M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, 1989
- Vanderbilt University, Bachelor of Engineering, Electrical and Biomedical Engineering, 1987
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- State Bar of Texas
John Shumaker is a Principal in the Austin office of McKool Smith. Prior to joining McKool Smith, Mr. Shumaker worked at other firms where he:
Managed day-to-day aspects of patent litigation including those relative to integrated circuit designs, computer memory, flash memory, computer software, computer operating systems and computer hardware; was responsible for validity, infringement and inequitable conduct analyses for patents covering computer memory, computer hardware and computer software; prepared for Markman hearings in areas including flash memory, online securities trading and computer operating systems; analyzed IP due diligence issues for corporate mergers and acquisitions; and drafted patent applications for the United States Patent and Trademark Office in the electrical, computer and oilfield service arts.
Additional experience. John also worked as an Instructor at the Baylor College of Medicine, where he directed a research laboratory that focused on the development of DNA microarray systems for human gene diagnostics, and received research grants from the National Institutes of Health and the United States Department of Commerce.
- May 1, 2013
- December 21, 2010
- August 28, 2009