- J.D., Columbia Law School, 2014, James Kent Scholar.
- B.S., Forensic Biology and Crime, Law, and Justice, The Pennsylvania State University, 2011.
- State of New York
- The United States District Courts for the Southern District of New York and the Eastern District of Texas
Karly Valenzuela is an associate in McKool Smith Hennigan's Los Angeles office. She focuses her practice on white collar and intellectual property litigation. Prior to joining the firm, Karly drafted successful motions for summary judgment for intricate patent cases, and drafted memoranda regarding execution of judgment and enforcement issues, advisory opinions on issues of law or equity, and Walker-process claims. Karly has trial experience from working at a criminal defense firm, where she assisted the chief counsel with all aspects of a capital case. Additionally she has experience in government work due to her time as a legal intern in the Chief Counsel’s Office at ATF.
As a law student, Karly was a member of the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law and was a Moot Court Student Editor. She was actively involved in the Environmental Law Clinic where she wrote and filed motions and briefs related to the Clean Water Act. Before attending law school, Karly was a Forensic Auxiliary Officer at The Pennsylvania State University Police Department where she documented evidence and assisted with crime scene investigations at campus locations. She is fluent in Spanish and proficient in French.
- BMC Software, Inc. Represented BMC in a patent infringement action involving IT management solutions.
- ContentGuard Holdings, Inc. Represented ContentGuard in patent infringement actions involving DRM technology.