- J.D. with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 2009. Editor-in-Chief, Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal.
- M.Eng., Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006.
- S.B., Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005.
- State of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Kat Li is an associate in the Austin office of McKool Smith. Ms. Li’s trial practice focuses on patent litigation and has included actions in Federal District Court, the United States International Trade Commission, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. She has successfully managed and tried all phases of patent litigation cases from pre-filing investigation to post-trial briefing to appeal. Ms. Li has substantial experience in the courtroom and with an expansive variety of technologies from mobile devices to computer software to electronic materials to telecommunications.
Prior to joining the firm, she served as a law clerk for the Honorable Arthur J. Gajarsa at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C. and the Honorable Leonard E. Davis at the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in Tyler, Texas. Ms. Li is the President of the Association of Former Law Clerks for the Eastern District of Texas, and a frequent speaker at the Eastern District of Texas Bar Association Bench Bar Conference.
While attending law school, she was the Editor-in-Chief of the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal and served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Lee Yeakel at the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas. At MIT, Ms. Li was a Materials Processing and Manufacturing Institute Graduate Fellow and a Humanities, Art, and Social Sciences Burchard Scholar.
Ms. Li speaks Mandarin Chinese proficiently.
- Unwired Planet v. Apple. Represented Unwired Planet in a patent infringement lawsuit regarding speech recognition, app downloading, location services, and push messaging technologies.
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company. Represents TSMC in patent infringement disputes involving semiconductor materials technology.
- Odyssey Wireless v. Apple et al. Represented Odyssey Wireless in patent infringement cases against Apple, Samsung, LG, and Motorola regarding technology related to the LTE standard including frequency hopping and carrier aggregation.
- Cambria v. Wilsonart et al. Represented Wilsonart in design patent infringement lawsuits at the International Trade Commission and in Minnesota district court regarding quartz countertops.
- Ericsson v. Apple. Represented Ericsson in a global patent infringement dispute against Apple including district court cases in Texas regarding location-based services in mobile devices and connectivity of mobile and stationary devices.
- ParkerVision v. Qualcomm. Represented ParkerVision in a patent infringement action against Qualcomm, Samsung, and HTC regarding direct conversion receiver technology for use in high-performance wireless telecommunications devices.
- Dynamic 3D Geosolutions v. Halliburton et al. Represented Halliburton and LMKR in a patent infringement suit regarding geophysical software used to produce three-dimensional models of subterranean formations.
- Rockstar Consortium v. Samsung/Google. Represented Rockstar Consortium in patent infringement lawsuits in California and Texas district courts against Samsung, ASUS, LG, HTC, Pantech, ZTE, and Google regarding mobile handset technology.
- Ericsson v. Samsung. Represented Ericsson in patent infringement lawsuits against Samsung at the International Trade Commission and in Texas district court regarding standard essential and implementation patents related to LTE, WCDMA, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and 802.11 wireless technology. The case was resolved by a settlement favorable to Ericsson.
- Ericsson v. D-Link, et al. Represented Ericsson in a patent infringement lawsuit against Intel, Acer, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, Netgear, and D-Link regarding 802.11n wireless technology. Following a jury trial in the Eastern District of Texas, a jury awarded a substantial amount to Ericsson for the defendants’ infringement of Ericsson’s patented technology.
- Summit 6 v. Samsung. Represented Summit 6 in a patent infringement lawsuit against Samsung, Facebook, Research in Motion, and others regarding digital content processing and uploading technology. The case was resolved by a settlement favorable to Summit 6 from all defendants except Samsung before trial. Following a jury trial in the Northern District of Texas, a jury awarded a substantial amount to Summit 6 for Samsung’s infringement of Summit 6’s patented technology.
- Good Technology v. LRW. Represented Good Technology in a patent litigation against LRW in the Northern District of Texas involving technology relating to secure email solutions. The case was resolved favorably to Good Technology.
- Global Sessions v. Travelocity et al. Represented Global Sessions against multiple on-line retailers, including Amazon, Orbitz, Travelocity, and CDW, in a patent infringement case regarding technology related to maintaining session state for a user of a website and managing a web system.
Professional & Community Activities
- President, Association of Former Law Clerks of the Eastern District of Texas
- Board of Directors, Association of Former Law Clerks and Technical Advisors of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Associate Member, The Honorable Lee Yeakel Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Bench Bar Conference Planning Committee, Eastern District of Texas Bar Association
- Member, Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Austin Asian American Bar Association and National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Faculty Member, Women in Law Institute at Texas Law
- Registered Patent Attorney before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- MIT Educational Counselor
Awards & Recognition
- Named a Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, (2016-2017).
- March 8, 2017
- March 23, 2016
- September 23, 2015
- June 27, 2013
- April 5, 2013
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Kat Li to Present on Preparing an IPR Petition and a Preliminary Order Response at Advanced IP Law TexasBarCLEFebruary 24, 2017
- October 19, 2016
- October 23, 2015
- October 24, 2014