- J.D. with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 2009. Editor-in-Chief, Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal.
- M.Eng., Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006.
- S.B., Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005.
- State of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Kat Li is an associate in the Austin office of McKool Smith. Ms. Li’s practice focuses on patent litigation and has included actions in Federal District Court, the United States International Trade Commission, and the United State Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Ms. Li is experienced with all aspects of patent litigation from pre-filing investigation to post-trial briefing to appeal.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Li served as a law clerk for the Honorable Arthur J. Gajarsa at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C. and the Honorable Leonard E. Davis at the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in Tyler, Texas.
While attending law school, Ms. Li was the Editor-in-Chief of the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal and served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Lee Yeakel at the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas. At MIT, Ms. Li was a Materials Processing and Manufacturing Institute Graduate Fellow and a Humanities, Art, and Social Sciences Burchard Scholar.
- Ericsson. Ericsson v. Apple. Represented Ericsson in a global patent infringement dispute against Apple including district court cases in Texas regarding location-based services in mobile devices and connectivity of mobile and stationary devices.
- Rockstar Consortium. Rockstar Consortium v. Samsung/Google. Represented Rockstar Consortium in patent infringement lawsuits in California and Texas district courts against Samsung, ASUS, LG, HTC, Pantech, ZTE, and Google regarding mobile handset technology.
- Ericsson. Ericsson v. Samsung. Represented Ericsson in patent infringement lawsuits against Samsung at the International Trade Commission and in Texas district court regarding standard essential and implementation patents related to LTE, WCDMA, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and 802.11 wireless technology. The case was resolved by a settlement favorable to Ericsson.
- Ericsson. Ericsson v. D-Link, et al. Represented Ericsson in a patent infringement lawsuit against Intel, Acer, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, Netgear, and D-Link regarding 802.11n wireless technology. Following a jury trial in the Eastern District of Texas, a jury awarded a substantial amount to Ericsson for the defendants’ infringement of Ericsson’s patented technology.
- Summit 6. Summit 6 v. Samsung. Represented Summit 6 in a patent infringement lawsuit against Samsung, Facebook, Research in Motion, and others regarding digital content processing and uploading technology. The case was resolved by a settlement favorable to Summit 6 from all defendants except Samsung before trial. Following a jury trial in the Northern District of Texas, a jury awarded a substantial amount to Summit 6 for Samsung’s infringement of Summit 6’s patented technology.
- Good Technology. Good Technology v. LRW. Represented Good Technology in a patent litigation against LRW in the Northern District of Texas involving technology relating to secure email solutions. The case was resolved favorably to Good Technology.
Professional & Community Activities
- President, Association of Former Law Clerks of the Eastern District of Texas
- Associate Member, The Honorable Lee Yeakel Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Member, Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Austin Asian American Bar Association and National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Registered Patent Attorney before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
Awards & Recognition
- Named a Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2016
- September 23, 2015
- June 27, 2013
- April 5, 2013