- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center, 1986.
- J.D., Drake University Law School, 1984.
- M.P.A., Drake University, 1984.
- B.A., Drake University, 1981.
- District of Columbia
Kent Stevens is a principal in the Washington, DC office of McKool Smith. Mr. Stevens has more than 20 years of experience in intellectual property litigation and specializes in handling Section 337 investigations before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). He also focuses on proceedings relating to ITC investigations before the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Stevens served as both an Investigative Attorney and Senior Investigative Attorney for the ITC’s Office of Unfair Import Investigations. During his ten years of service, he handled cases involving petitions for temporary relief, gray market cases, and numerous patent cases involving pharmaceutical, electronic, and other technologies. He has participated in trials before six ITC Administrative Law Judges and has been in private practice representing complainants, respondents, and third parties since 1998. He also served as a law clerk for the Hon. John J. Mathias in the ITC's Office of Administrative Law Judges.
Mr. Stevens is a former President of the ITC Trial Lawyers Association and a frequent speaker on international trade issues relating to intellectual property litigation. He is also the former Editor-in-Chief of the 337 Reporter and founder of the Section 337 Reporter Summer Associate Edition.
Prior to joining to firm, Mr. Steven's successes included:
- CYBERsitter, LLC v. The People's Republic of China, et al., Case No. CV10-0038-JST (SH) (C.D. Cal. 2012) (Represented co-defendant Zhengzhou Jinhui Computer System Engineering Ltd. in global settlement and dismissal of dispute involving allegations of copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation of Internet filtering system.)
- In the Matter of Certain Products and Pharmaceutical Compositions Containing Recombinant Human Erythropoietin, Investigation No. 337-TA-568, Fed. Reg. Vol. 71, No. 172 (U.S.I.T.C. September 6, 2006 - October 11, 2011) (Represented respondents Roche Holding Ltd., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Roche Diagnostics GmbH, and Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. in dismissing on summary determination a patent infringement proceeding commenced by complainant Amgen, Inc.); Amgen Inc. v. International Trade Commission, 565 F.3d 846 (Fed. Cir. 2009) (Represented intervenors Roche Holding Ltd., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Roche Diagnostics GmbH and Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. in petition for rehearing en banc granted in part by the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and following remand, concluded a global settlement and dismissal of the ITC case.)
- In the Matter of Certain Short-Wavelength Light Emitting Diodes, Laser Diodes and Products Containing Same, No. 337-TA-640 (2009) (Represented respondent Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB in successfully settling the case and obtaining termination of Sony Ericsson from the investigation).
- In the Matter of Certain Wireless Communication Devices, Components Thereof, And Products Containing The Same, Investigation No. 337-TA-583 (U.S.I.T.C. 2007) (Represented complainants Ericsson Inc. and Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson in patent infringement proceeding involving wireless telecommunication equipment that was successfully brought to conclusion through a stipulated dismissal and settlement resolved to the satisfaction of all parties).
His ten years of government service with the ITC included assignments to the following representative cases:
- Inv. No. 337-TA-398 (1997), In the Matter of Certain Multiple Implement, Multi-Function Pocket Knives and Related Packaging and Promotional Materials.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-396 (1997), In the Matter of Certain Removable Electronic Cards and Electronic Card Reader Devices and Products Containing Same.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-389 (1996), In the Matter of Certain Diagnostic Kits for the Detection and Quantification of Viruses.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-386 (1996), In the Matter of Certain Global Positioning System Coarse Acquisition Code Receivers and Products Containing Same.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-380 (1996), In the Matter of Certain Agricultural Tractors Under 50 Power Take-off Horsepower.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-374 (1995), In the Matter of Certain Electrical Connectors and Products Containing Same.
- Inv. No, 337-TA-368 (1994), In the Matter of Certain Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride Anode Materials and. Batteries, and Products Containing Same.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-367 (1994), In the Matter of Certain Facsimile Machines.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-358 (1993), In the Matter of Certain Recombinantly Produced Human Growth Hormones.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-348 (1993), In the Matter of Certain In-Line Roller Skates With Ventilated Boots And In-Line Roller.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-346 (1993), In the Matter of Certain Magnetic Switches For Coaxial Transmission Lines and Products Containing the Same.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-342 (1993), In the Matter of Certain Circuit Board Testers.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-336 (1992), In the Matter of Certain Single In-Line Memory Modules and Products Containing Same.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-324 (1991), In the Matter of Certain Acid-Washed Denim Garments and Accessories.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-322 (1991), In the Matter of Certain Microporous Nylon Membrane and Products Containing Same.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-321 (1990), In the Matter of Certain Soft Drinks and Their Containers.
- Inv. No 337-TA-317 (1990), In the Matter of Certain Internal Mixing Devices and Components Thereof.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-303 (1989), In the Matter of Certain Polymer Geogrid Products and Processes Therefor.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-297 (1989), In the Matter of Certain Cellular Radiotelephones and Subassemblies and Component Parts Thereof.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-286 (1988), In the Matter of Certain Track Lighting System Components, Including Plugboxes.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-284 (1988), In the Matter of Certain Electric Power Tools, Battery Cartridges and Battery Chargers.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-283 (1988), In the Matter of Certain Electronic Dart Games.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-279 (1988), In the Matter of Certain Plastic Light Duty Screw Anchors.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-277 (1987), In the Matter of Certain Marine Automatic Pilots.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-273 (1987), In the Matter of Certain Cellular Mobile Telephones and Subassemblies and Components Parts Thereof.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-266 (1987), In the Matter of Certain Reclosable Plastic Bags and Tubing.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-265 (1987), In the Matter of Certain Dental Prophylaxis Methods, Equipment and Components Thereof.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-253 (1986), In the Matter of Certain Electrically Resistive Monocomponent Toner and "Black Powder."
Awards & Recognition
- Named "IP Star" by Managing IP (2013-2015)
- Ranked nationally as both a leading ITC litigator and a Washington, DC patent litigator by IAM Patent 1000.
- July 1, 2015
- June 16, 2015
- July 18, 2014
- June 17, 2014
- June 18, 2013
- January 18, 2013
- July 1, 2012
- June 19, 2012
- May 29, 2012Law360
- May 29, 2012
- "Important New Decision by United States International Trade Commission on the Procedure for Pretrial Claim Construction in Section 337 Investigations"April 2011China IP Magazine
- "Early Development of Redesign Products to Avoid Potential Adverse Consequences of an ITC Exclusion Order "February 2011China IP Magazine
- "Mediation Of ITC Section 337 Patent Investigations -- Opportunities For Resolving And Terminating An ITC Section 337 Patent Case"November 2010China IP Magazine
- "Strategies And Procedures For Claim Construction In Section 337 Investigations Before The United States International Trade Commission"June 2010China IP Magazine
- "How to Prepare A Response To A Section 337 Investigation"February 2010China IP Magazine