- LL.M., Boston University School of Law, 1980
- J.D., cum laude, New England School of Law, 1979
- B.S., Biology, Beloit College, 1975
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
Marc Morris is a principal in the Los Angeles office of McKool Smith Hennigan. Mr. Morris’s practice concentrates on technology litigation. Mr. Morris has extensive trial experience, including patent, trademark and patent litigation, and has been lead trial counsel in cases involving all major technical disciplines. His most recent cases involve pharmaceuticals, cellular telephone technology, computer software, and portable computer technology.
Mr. Morris has successfully prosecuted and defended clients of all sizes in federal and state courts throughout the United States. He has also participated in over one hundred arbitrations. Known for his attention to detail and common sense approach to litigation, Mr. Morris has obtained favorable verdicts, awards and settlements on behalf of his clients. These results include:
- Obtaining a Judgment for an individual client in Texas.
- Obtaining a defense verdict after successfully bifurcating liability on a claim after only 1 day of trial.
- Winning 19 consecutive arbitration awards on behalf of an oil refinery located in Denver, Colorado.
- Developing and implementing a litigation strategy resulting in the acquisition of the adversary and its considerable patent portfolio.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Morris had substantial law firm and in-house experience. Mr. Morris was of-counsel to the firm of Quinn, Emanuel, Urquhart, Oliver & Hedges, LLP in Los Angles, CA. Prior to that, Mr. Morris spent three years as in-house counsel for Gemstar Development Corporation and was responsible for overseeing and implementing its patent litigation strategy which became an industry standard. Before joining Gemstar, Mr. Morris was a partner in the intellectual property law firm of Christie, Parker & Hale, LLP, where he had first chair responsibility for a broad spectrum of intellectual property litigation. Prior to that time, he was a shareholder/partner in the law firms of Moss, Morris & O’Dell P.C. and Shaw, Spangler and Roth, both located in Denver, Colorado.
Professional & Community Activities
- Panelist for various continuing legal education courses on topics relating to patent litigation
Awards & Recognition
- AV Peer Review Rated
- January 2, 2013