- J.D., 1997, New York University School of Law
- M.S., Engineering, 1993, University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, 1992, cum laude, Rice University
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- State of Texas
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
Mr. Hubert’s practice focuses on intellectual property litigation, including patent infringement matters in complex electrical and computer-related technology. Mr. Hubert is a former judicial clerk of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (chambers of the Honorable Pauline Newman, 1997-1999), and has experience in many federal district courts across the country, the International Trade Commission, and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Hubert also represents McKool Smith clients in Inter Partes Review (IPR) and other proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Mr. Hubert has been recognized by his peers as among the "Best Lawyers in America" in IP Litigation, and a "Texas Super Lawyer" multiple times.
Prior to joining McKool Smith, Mr. Hubert was a partner at a large multinational New-York-City-based firm.
Representative Matters at McKool Smith:
Various District Courts
KeyOvation v. Kinesis, No. 09-cv-00144 (W.D.Tex.), lead attorney for KeyOvation in declaratory judgment action, dismissed with Kinesis taking nothing.
- Rambus Inc.
Multiple recent matters resulting in settlements, including Rambus Inc. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. et al., No. 05-cv-02298 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. NVIDIA Corporation, No. 08-cv-03343 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. NVIDIA Corporation, No. 10-cv-05448 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. Broadcom Corporation, No. 10-cv-05437 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. Mediatek Inc., No. 10-cv-05447 (N.D.Cal.), Hynix Semiconductor Inc. et al. v. Rambus Inc., No. 00-cv-20905, (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. Hynix Semiconductor Inc. et al., No. 05-cv-00334 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. Micron Technology, Inc., et al. (No. 06-cv-00244, N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. LSI Corporation, No. 10-cv-05446 (N.D.Cal.), and Rambus Inc. v. STMicroelectronics, No. 10-cv-05449 (N.D.Cal.).
- Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. v. Mediatek Inc., et al., Case No. 5:14-cv-02185, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, settled.
- Ericsson Inc.
Ericsson Inc. and Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al., No. 6:12-cv-894 (E.D.Tex.) and Ericsson Inc. and Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al., No. 6:12-cv-895 (E.D.Tex.), settled.
Mobile Telecommunications Technologies, LLC v. T-Mobile USA, Inc. et al., No. 2:13-cv-886-JRG-RSP, pending.
International Trade Commission
- British Technology Group
Certain MLC Flash Memory Devices and Products Containing Same, No. 337-TA-683 (International Trade Commission), settled.
- Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
Certain Integrated Circuits and Products Containing the Same, U.S. ITC Inv. No. 334-TA-3014, settled.
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Versata Development Group, Inc.
Versata Development Group, Inc. v. Lee, 2014-1145 (Fed. Cir.), pending.
- Personal Web Technologies, LLC
Personal Web Technologies, LLC v. EMC Corporation, 2014-1602, -1603, -1604, -1605, -1606, -1607 (Fed. Cir.), pending.
Patent Trial and Appeal Board
T-Mobile USA, Inc. and T-Mobile US, Inc., v. Mobile Telecommunications Technologies, LLC (IPR2015-00015, IPR2015-00017, and IPR2015-00018), pending.
- Good Technology
VMWare, Inc. v. Good Technology Software, Inc. (IPR2014-01324, IPR2015-00027, IPR2015-00030, and IPR2015-00031), pending.
Professional & Community Activities
- Council Member, Intellectual Property Section, State Bar of Texas, 2011-2013
- President, Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, 2010
- Officer, Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, 2006-2010
- University of Texas School of Law, Giles Rich Intellectual Property Moot Court Coach (coached several national championship teams)
Awards & Recognition
- Ranked in the 2015 and 2016 editions of The Best Lawyers in America as a leading lawyer in Intellectual Property litigation.
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer, and Texas Rising Star multiple times.
- January 28, 2016
- August 18, 2015
- September 5, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- September 9, 2013
- September 10, 2012
- March 26, 2010
- March 25, 2009
- August 1, 2008
- February 7, 2007
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
"Inter Partes Reexamination," presented to Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, May 2004.
"Inventorship," presented to in-house patent attorneys of a Fortune 500 Client.
"Phillips Panel,"Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, 2005.