- J.D., 1997, New York University School of Law
- M.S., Engineering, 1993, University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, 1992, cum laude, Rice University
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- State of Texas
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
Mr. Hubert’s practice focuses on intellectual property litigation, including patent infringement matters in complex electrical and computer-related technology.
Mr. Hubert is a former judicial clerk of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (chambers of the Honorable Pauline Newman, 1997-1999). He has experience in many federal district courts across the country, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, the International Trade Commission and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Hubert was ranked in the top 5 attorneys at the PTAB for patent owners by non-institution rate, cumulative as of April 2017, according to www.docketalarm.com (April 2017).
Mr. Hubert is former President of the Austin IPLA, an Austin area organization consisting of hundreds of attorneys and business people interested in intellectual property law issues. He has been recognized by his peers as among the "Best Lawyers in America" in IP Litigation, a "Texas Super Lawyer," and a "Texas Rising Star" multiple times. Mr. Hubert’s observations on issues in intellectual property law have been published on forbes.com and Law360.
Prior to joining McKool Smith in 2006, Mr. Hubert was an equity partner at a large multinational New-York-City-based firm.
Representative Matters at McKool Smith:
- BMC Software, Inc. v. ServiceNow, Inc., 2:14-cv-00903 (E.D. Tex.) (representing BMC).
- Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. v. Mediatek Inc., et al., Case No. 5:14-cv-02185 (N.D.Cal) (representing Freescale).
- Mobile Telecommunications Technologies, LLC v. T-Mobile USA, Inc. et al., No. 2:13-cv-886-JRG-RSP (representing T-Mobile).
Ericsson Inc. and Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al., No. 6:12-cv-894 (E.D.Tex.) and Ericsson Inc. and Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al., No. 6:12-cv-895 (E.D.Tex.) (representing Ericsson).
Rambus Inc. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. et al., No. 05-cv-02298 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. NVIDIA Corporation, No. 08-cv-03343 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. NVIDIA Corporation, No. 10-cv-05448 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. Broadcom Corporation, No. 10-cv-05437 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. Mediatek Inc., No. 10-cv-05447 (N.D.Cal.), Hynix Semiconductor Inc. et al. v. Rambus Inc., No. 00-cv-20905, (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. Hynix Semiconductor Inc. et al., No. 05-cv-00334 (N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. Micron Technology, Inc., et al. (No. 06-cv-00244, N.D.Cal.), Rambus Inc. v. LSI Corporation, No. 10-cv-05446 (N.D.Cal.), and Rambus Inc. v. STMicroelectronics, No. 10-cv-05449 (N.D.Cal.) (representing Rambus).
- KeyOvation v. Kinesis, No. 09-cv-00144 (W.D.Tex.) (representing KeyOvation).
Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Representative Decisions of Non-Institution, obtained for Patentees: ServiceNow, Inc. v. BMC Software, Inc. (CMB2015-00107 (7,062,683), IPR2015-01329 (6,895,586), IPR2015-01555 (8,646,093), and IPR2015-01601 (6,816,898)) (representing BMC).
- Representative Decisions of Institutions, obtained for Petitioners: T-Mobile USA, Inc. and T-Mobile US, Inc., v. Mobile Telecommunications Technologies, LLC (IPR2015-00015 and IPR2015-00018) (representing T-Mobile).
International Trade Commission
- Certain Quartz Slabs and Portions Thereof, U.S. ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-996 (representing Wilsonart).
- Certain Integrated Circuits and Products Containing the Same, U.S. ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-3014 (representing Freescale).
- Certain MLC Flash Memory Devices and Products Containing Same, U.S. ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-683 (representing British Technology Group).
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Versata Development Group, Inc. v. Lee, 2014-1145 (Fed. Cir.) (representing Versata).
Professional & Community Activities
- Council Member, Intellectual Property Section, State Bar of Texas, 2011-2013
- President, Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, 2010
- Officer, Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, 2006-2010
- University of Texas School of Law, Giles Rich Intellectual Property Moot Court Coach (coached several national championship teams)
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized in the 2016 and 2017 editions of "Best Lawyers in America" for IP Litigation.
- Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer for IP Litigation (2012 - 2016).
- September 6, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- January 28, 2016
- August 18, 2015
- September 5, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- September 9, 2013
- September 10, 2012
- March 26, 2010
- March 25, 2009
- August 1, 2008
- August 31, 2016
- February 7, 2007
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
"Inter Partes Reexamination," presented to Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, May 2004.
"Inventorship," presented to in-house patent attorneys of a Fortune 500 Client.
"Phillips Panel," Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, 2005.