- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 2010. Houston Law Review, Order of the Coif, Order of the Barons
- B.S., Biochemistry, magna cum laude, University of Texas at Dallas, May 2007
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Ryan Hargrave is an associate in McKool Smith's Dallas office. Her practice focuses on intellectual property litigation, and she represents clients in connection with a broad range of technologies, including pharmaceuticals, wireless networking, cellular networking, downhole oilfield tools, information storage and retrieval systems, and virtual private networks. Ryan is experienced in all aspects of patent litigation, from pre-filing investigation to post-trial briefing, and she has successfully briefed and argued numerous issues.
Prior to law school, Ryan conducted research involving synthetic chemistry designed to create novel, electrochemically active molecules. While attending law school, Ryan was a Notes and Comments Editor for the Houston Law Review and a judicial intern for Judge Jennifer Elrod of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and Judge Ewing Werlein, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Medical University of South Carolina Foundation for Research Development. Represents MUSC Foundation for Research Development in a patent infringement lawsuit against AstraZeneca related to a method of treating nitric oxide and cytokine mediated disorders in cells.
- Rockstar Consortium. Represented Rockstar Consortium and MobileStar Technologies LLC in a patent infringement lawsuit against Samsung, Google, ASUS, HTC, LG, Pantech, and ZTE involving patents related to software and radio-frequency electromagnetic shielding technology for use in wireless telecommunications devices.
- VirnetX, Inc. Represents VirnetX Inc. in patent infringement suit related to systems and methods for efficiently creating secure communications.
- In re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig "Deepwater Horizon." Represented Halliburton and Sperry Sun, with focus on the development of expert and technical matters, in the MDL litigation related to the Macondo/Deepwater Horizon blowout.
- MOSAID Technologies, Inc. Represents MOSAID in a patent infringement lawsuit involving technology relating to 802.11 compliant Wi-Fi devices.
- Bedrock Computer Technologies. Represented Bedrock in a patent infringement suit involving methods for efficiently removing expired data from information storage and retrieval systems. Following a six-day trial in Tyler, Texas, the jury found the patent infringed, valid, and awarded a royalty to Bedrock. The case then settled prior to the entry of judgment.
Awards & Recognition
- Named a Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, (2014-2016)
- March 23, 2016
- March 6, 2015
- March 7, 2014
- October 24, 2011Texas Lawyer