- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Arizona College of Law, 1991
- B.S., cum laude, Zoology, Arizona State University, 1988
- State of California
- 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Various District Courts
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Shawna Ballard is a Principal in McKool Smith’s Silicon Valley office. Ms. Ballard has represented clients in a variety of complex business litigation, trial and arbitration matters. In her broad-based practice, Ms. Ballard has handled cases involving patent infringement claims, Lanham Act claims, securities transactions, real estate mortgage backed securities, fraud, unfair competition, trade secrets, real estate financing, corporate restructurings, director and officer liability, trusts, and fiduciary duties.
Ms. Ballard’s representative matters include:
- Represents Allure Energy in patent infringement litigation involving Allure’s patented proximity detection technology.
- Represented Merial in Lanham Act litigation involving its FRONTLINE® PLUS and HEARTGARD® products.
- Consultations with semi-conductor, software and electronics companies regarding potential patent infringement cases and licensing assertion campaigns.
- Represented Principal, Aegon, AIG, PIMCO and Oaktree in actions against Wall Street investment banks in connection with the purchase of more than $1 billion in Enron and Enron-related securities.
- Represented Principal, Aegon, Allstate, Prudential and John Hancock against Bank of America in connection with private placements of securities sponsored and guaranteed by Parmalat S.p.A.
- Represented banks accused of aiding and abetting a ponzi scheme.
- Represented the founder of Priceline® in the defense of a securities class action.
- Represented Maguire Properties in several arbitrations regarding the financing and development of the Playa Vista project in Los Angeles.
- Represented investment funds to recover losses relating to investments in a failed Thai steel plant.
- Represented the Creditor’s Committee for Trenwick America regarding potential litigation claims stemming from corporate restructuring transactions.
- Represented the bankruptcy estate for SmarTalk Teleservices in a dispute with Fletcher Asset Management regarding Fletcher’s pre-petition investment in SmartTalk.
- Defended a director in an SEC civil enforcement action relating to merger and spinoff transactions with Merck.
- Represented Paragon Homes in a trial against its financing partners.
Professional & Community Activities
- Law Clerk for the Hon. Harlington Wood, Jr., United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1991-92
- Board of Visitors, University of Arizona College of Law
Awards & Recognition
- Outstanding Senior Award (University of Arizona College of Law)
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers