- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Arizona College of Law, 1991
- B.S., Zoology, cum laude, Arizona State University, 1988
- State of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Shawna Ballard is Of Counsel at McKool Smith Hennigan and specializes in complex commercial matters. Her practice includes cases involving complex securities and financial frauds and complex contract, business and real estate disputes.
Ms. Ballard has represented various investment funds and institutional investors in pursuing securities fraud claims. For example, Ms. Ballard was a member of the team representing large U.S. institutional investors in litigation against Wall Street banks in connection with their purchase of more than $1 billion of Enron and Enron-related securities. Ms. Ballard was also a member of a team representing institutional investors in connection with bond investments in a Thai steel mill. These matters resulted in confidential settlements on terms favorable to the clients.
Ms. Ballard has also defended institutions and individuals against securities fraud claims. Recent representative matters include: Gilbert v. Cohn, in which Ms. Ballard and others at the firm defended financial institutions in a class action asserting state law fraud, breach of fiduciary and securities claims and In re Princeline.com, Inc. Securities Litigation, in which Ms. Ballard and others at the firm defended the founder of Priceline.com in consolidated securities fraud class actions.
Ms. Ballard’s real estate litigation efforts have included the representation of Maguire Properties, the largest commercial office developer in Los Angeles, in a series of disputes pertaining to the Playa Vista development.
Professional & Community Activities
- Public Interest Committee for the Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Member, Board of Visitors for the University of Arizona College of Law
- Member, Board of the Arizona Law Ambassadors for the University of Arizona College of Law
- Law Clerk: Hon. Harlington Wood, Jr., United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1991-92
- President of the Board, Cottage Co-op Nursery School, 7/2007-7/2008
- Articles Editor, Arizona Law Review, 1990-91
- Member, National Moot Court Team
Awards & Recognition
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Member, Order of the Barristers
- Outstanding Senior Award