- J.D., cum laude, University of California, Hastings, 1998
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1994
- State of Texas
- State of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
Trent Campione is a Principal in the Austin office. His practice focuses on patent litigation, counseling and licensing involving computer hardware and software, consumer electronics, and network & wireless communications technologies. During law school he served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Vaughn R. Walker (ret.), Chief Judge of the Northern District of California.
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- Defended an action involving six patents and alleged trade secrets directed to emulation technology for designing computer chips, resulting in a complete defense verdict following a four week jury trial.
- Litigated an action involving nineteen patents concerning computer hardware and software.
- Defended an action involving fifteen patents directed to MPEG video coding, speech compression, modems and other computer-related technologies.
- Litigated various patent actions involving JPEG image compression, wireless devices, automated assembly of printed circuit boards, satellite dishes and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) processes and equipment.
- Analyzed complex patent portfolios and provided counseling regarding portfolio development, assertion and licensing strategies.
- Analyzed, drafted, negotiated and provided counseling regarding patent licenses and other IP agreements.
- Conducted due diligence of large IP portfolios and advised on IP aspects of corporate equity offerings and acquisitions.
"Expanding Jurisdiction over Patent Challenges," The Intellectual Property Strategist, June 2007.
Panelist, "Opinions of Counsel & Waiver of Privilege after EchoStar," Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, October 2006.
"Federal Circuit Update," CLE presentation, December 2005.
"On-Sale Bar's Broad Application Demonstrated in Recent Cadence Victory over Mentor," Intellectual Property Today, September 2003.