- J.D., cum laude, University of California, Hastings, 1998
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1994
- State of Texas
- State of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
Trent Campione is a Principal in the Austin office. His practice focuses on patent litigation, counseling and licensing involving computer hardware and software, consumer electronics, and network & wireless communications technologies. During law school he served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Vaughn R. Walker (ret.), Chief Judge of the Northern District of California.
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- Defended an action involving six patents and alleged trade secrets directed to emulation technology for designing computer chips, resulting in a complete defense verdict following a four week jury trial.
- Litigated an action involving nineteen patents concerning computer hardware and software.
- Defended an action involving fifteen patents directed to MPEG video coding, speech compression, modems and other computer-related technologies.
- Litigated various patent actions involving JPEG image compression, wireless devices, automated assembly of printed circuit boards, satellite dishes and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) processes and equipment.
- Analyzed complex patent portfolios and provided counseling regarding portfolio development, assertion and licensing strategies.
- Analyzed, drafted, negotiated and provided counseling regarding patent licenses and other IP agreements.
- Conducted due diligence of large IP portfolios and advised on IP aspects of corporate equity offerings and acquisitions.
- November 6, 2012
- January 4, 2012
- June 23, 2008
"Expanding Jurisdiction over Patent Challenges," The Intellectual Property Strategist, June 2007.
Panelist, "Opinions of Counsel & Waiver of Privilege after EchoStar," Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, October 2006.
"Federal Circuit Update," CLE presentation, December 2005.
"On-Sale Bar's Broad Application Demonstrated in Recent Cadence Victory over Mentor," Intellectual Property Today, September 2003.