- J.D., Yale Law School, 2005. John Olin Fellow for Law, Economics, and Public Policy
- A.B., Princeton University, 2002
- State of New York
- The U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
Yusuf Rangwala is Senior Counsel in the Austin office of McKool Smith. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Rangwala served as a Law Clerk to Chief Judge Helen W. Gillmor of the United Stated District Court for the District of Hawaii. Mr. Rangwala was previously an associate with Sullivan & Cromwell LLP in New York. His practice includes patent infringement and licensing litigation, commercial litigation, bankruptcy litigation, securities litigation, mediation and arbitration proceedings, state and federal regulatory actions, and financial institution internal investigations. Mr. Rangwala’s practice also focuses on mortgage-backed securities (MBS) disputes, where he represents holders of MBS to maximize recoveries on their investments through litigation and settlement.
- PanOptis. Represents the intellectual property management firm in patent infringement litigation against various entities. Involved in the negotiation of a favorable settlement and patent license involving both standard essential and implementation patents.
- CRG. Represents the healthcare-focused investment firm in litigation against a large pharmaceutical regarding the payment of patent royalties.
- MBS Put-Back Litigation. Represents trustees and investors in numerous matters in connection with their efforts to maximize recoveries on their MBS holdings through litigation and settlement.
- Freddie Mac. Represents Freddie Mac in numerous matters, including litigation related to the bankruptcy of Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp., the largest independent mortgage lender in the United States prior to its bankruptcy.
- Ocala Funding LLC. Represents a large creditor in defense of the debtor’s alleged $800 million fraudulent transfer claim.
- Oil Producers Litigation. Represents more than 80 independent Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas oil producers in lawsuits against various downstream purchasers.
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- Bank of Nova Scotia. Represented the Bank of Nova Scotia in litigation brought by former shareholders of Grupo Financiero Inverlat, S.A. de C.V. (GFI), a Mexican bank holding company, in connection with the mid-1990’s Mexican Peso Crisis.
- Financial Institution Internal Investigations. Conducted an internal investigation of a large financial institution in connection with potential OFAC violations.