Ashley Moore is a seasoned trial lawyer focused on high-stakes litigation involving complex technologies. Ashley has successfully tried numerous cases to judges, juries, and arbitration panels involving cutting-edge issues such as hydraulic fracturing, the 4G cellular standard, and breach of FRAND for essential patent holders. Ashley also represents clients with matters involving the intersection of technology and cybersecurity, HIPAA, trade secrets, non-disclosure agreements, insurance contracts, and fraud. Her courtroom skills have earned her a reputation as one of the top rising lawyers under 40 as recognized by both Texas Super Lawyers and Benchmark Litigation.
Ashley also has significant experience prosecuting patents before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Before joining McKool Smith, she counseled industry leaders in protecting and licensing their technology assets at a large national law firm. As a result, she is equally adept at counseling clients to make the most of their patent portfolios through patent acquisitions, divestitures, and both offensive and defensive assertions.
- Ericsson. Represents Ericsson in a variety of patent matters, including FRAND and essential patent assertions. In these cases, Ashley has argued numerous motions and taken witnesses on direct and cross examination. One of these cases involved Ericsson’s 802.11 standard essential patents, which resulted in a favorable jury award of over $10 million.
- True Software. Acted as lead counsel for defendant True Software in this patent infringement case. Ashley successfully secured a take nothing summary judgment verdict of patent invalidity in the Northern District of California. This case was recently affirmed by the Federal Circuit.
- Albritton. Acts as lead counsel for patent owner Dr. Albritton in a patent infringement, breach of contract, and fraud case against Acclarent in the Northern District of Texas.
- Summit 6. Represented Summit 6 in its suit against Samsung, Facebook, and others involving infringement of patents related to image compression prior to transmission Ashley briefed and argued terms at Markman and took expert witnesses at the jury trial on liability and the subsequent bench trial on inequitable conduct. Summit 6 obtained favorable settlements from all parties except Samsung before trial. A jury awarded $15 million to Summit 6 in its verdict against Samsung, which was recently affirmed at the Federal Circuit.
- Insurance recovery. Represents a number of policyholders in complex insurance coverage litigation. These cases span a wide variety of issues, from alleged HIPAA violations to international tax issues, among other things.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized in the Benchmark Litigation "Under 40 Hotlist," which honors the achievements of the nation’s most accomplished legal partners of the age of forty or younger, 2016-2017
- Named a Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2015-2017
Community & Professional Activities
- Associate member, the Honorable Barbara M. G. Lynn Inn of Court
- Registered patent agent
- Phi Delta Phi
Media & Events
- Zach Mazin, Ashley Moore, and Joshua Newcomer Recognized in Benchmark Litigation’s “Under 40 Hotlist”08.14.2017
- McKool Smith Associate Ashley Moore Gives Interview about Women in Law on Bethany Williams’ WIT Network Show06.05.2015
- "Wyeth, Cordis Stent Patents Are Invalid, Judge Says" McKool Smith client Medtronic wins summary judgment in patent defense case01.20.2012
- Ashley Moore to Speak at Indiana University's Center for Intellectual Property Law and Innovation Event09.20.2016
J.D., cum laude, Southern Methodist Dedman School of Law, 2010
B.S. Electrical Engineering, Southern Methodist University, 2000
- Engineering scholar and university scholar, 1996-2000
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office