Brent Rushforth is a principal in the Washington, D.D. office of McKool Smith. Brent has extensive litigation experience in antitrust and unfair competition, intellectual property, and trade regulation. He has represented such clients as VISA, MCI, Cox Communications, Black & Decker, Marriott Corporation, and the American Booksellers Association. While serving as deputy general counsel of the Department of Defense, Brent was actively involved in the SALT Treaty negotiations.
Antitrust litigation and negotiations with government agencies:
- Co-chaired defense of Visa in action in federal district court brought by Department of Justice for alleged violations of §1 of the Sherman Act (decision pending).
- Antitrust Counsel for The Black & Decker Corporation.
- Successfully defended Cox Communications and KTVU San Francisco in treble damage and injunction action in federal court and argued appeal (trial court's decision affirmed).
- Successfully defended Cox Communications and Cox Cable in jury trial in federal court treble damage and injunction action and argued appeal (jury verdict affirmed).
- Represented Cox Communications in Department of Justice Investigation of cable television consortium (investigation settled without litigation).
- Represented consortium of cable television companies (including Cox Cable) in seeking Department of Justice approval of a cable programming buying cooperative.
Antitrust compliance and counseling work:
- As deputy general counsel of the Department of Defense, counseled secretary of defense on antitrust issues.
- Counseled Cox Communications on its antitrust issues for 15 years (conducted review of Cox Communications' antitrust compliance and prepared a compliance program).
- Currently provides ongoing counseling, advice, and representation to Black & Decker regarding all matters before FTC and Department of Justice, including antitrust compliance, mergers, and acquisitions.
Rankings & Honors
- Named a Super Lawyer in Washington, D.C., 2013-2016
Community & Professional Activities
- Former chairman, Center for Law in the Public Interest
News & Events
- Law360, 01.31.2012
- The AmLaw Daily, 01.31.2012
- The National Law Journal, 10.02.2012
- The New York Times, 10.03.2009
J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California at Berkeley, 1969
- Editor, California Law Review
M.A., Stanford University, 1966
B.A., Stanford University, 1964
- District of Columbia
- State of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- California State Bar Association