Brett DeArmond Bissett is an associate in the Insurance Recovery Practice Group with experience in insurance coverage litigation, counseling on insurance-related issues, directors' and officers' liability, and general commercial litigation. Brett has represented insureds in third-party insurance disputes regarding property and environmental damage as well as coverage for government investigations including qui tam actions. Brett has further experience in creditors’ rights in bankruptcy including preference litigation and creditors’ rights in municipal bankruptcies.
Additionally, Brett has been involved with pro bono work. He has represented minors seeking to obtain guardianship and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, helped secure asylum for refugees, and represented multiple tenants in unlawful detainer actions.
Prior to joining the firm:
- Kan-Di-Ki, LLC et al. v. Indian Harbor Insurance Company: Represented insureds in the healthcare industry in litigation to obtain directors’ and officers’ coverage for qui tam lawsuits and corresponding government investigations (California, 2014-2015)
- Southern Natural Gas Company v. London Market Insurers: Aided in representation of policyholder in litigation seeking coverage for historic environmental liabilities; prepared briefs to the Alabama Supreme Court; the court upheld two jury verdicts in favor of coverage (Alabama, 2013)
- Assisted in representation of CalPERS in multiple Chapter 9 municipal bankruptcy cases including city of Stockton and city of San Bernardino (California, 2012-2013)
Media & Events
J.D., University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, 2011
B.A., magna cum laude, University of California at Los Angeles, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2011
- California, 2011