Dana Vallera is an associate in McKool Smith's New York office. She focuses her practice on intellectual property and complex commercial litigation. She is a registered patent attorney who has represented clients in patent litigation actions relating to pharmaceuticals, data security software, cloud computing, and digital media editing. Prior to joining the firm, she was an associate at an international law firm, where she represented both plaintiffs and defendants in patent litigation involving a wide range of technology, including genetic screening, polymer manufacturing, and semiconductors. Dana has also represented clients in matters involving antitrust, securities fraud, regulatory investigations, and contract disputes.
Dana has extensive experience drafting all manner of litigation documents, including complaints, motions to dismiss, summary judgment motions, Daubert motions, and pre- and post-trial briefing. She also has significant experience drafting disclosures unique to patent litigation, such as infringement contentions, claim construction filings, and Markman-related briefs and presentations. Dana has substantial courtroom experience, including arguing motions and participating in multiple trials as a key trial team member.
While attending law school, Dana was the articles editor for the Chicago Journal of International Law. She also participated in the Edwin F. Mandel Legal Aid Clinic: Mental Health Project.
- Representation of Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Sanofi, and affiliated entities in district court litigation involving their blockbuster product Dupixent® and parallel inter partes review (IPR) proceedings challenging a patent held by Immunex/Amgen claiming antibodies that target the interleukin-4 receptor. Following the invalidation of Immunex/Amgen’s patent in the IPR, the district court litigation was stayed pending appeal.
- Representation of BMC Software in a district court patent infringement litigation relating to cloud computing software. The action was settled shortly before jury selection.
- Representation of ContentGuard Holdings Inc., a Xerox PARC-seeded company, in multiple district court patent infringement litigation actions and parallel IPR proceedings involving fundamental digital rights management patents. Two of the actions proceeded through trial and appeals.
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- Representation of Viva Healthcare Packaging in a district court action involving infringement of patents pertaining to the manufacture of flexible plastic tubing used in the beauty and personal care industries.
- Representation of Counsyl, a provider of genetic testing, in a patent litigation regarding its products used for screening for the BRCA gene.
- Representation of Dyson in connection with the enforcement of its U.S. intellectual property rights - including patents, copyrights, and trademarks - relating to its fans and heaters
Media & Events
- M. V. Martin, H. Dong, D. Vallera, D. Lee, L. Lu, R. Williams, G. D. Rosen, J. M. Cheverud, J. G. Csernansky, Independent Quantitative Trait Loci Influence Ventral and Dorsal Hippocampal Volume in Recombinant Inbred Strains of Mice, 5(8) Genes Brain Behav. 614 (2006)
- H. Dong, C. A. Csernansky, M. V. Martin, A. Bertchume, D. Vallera, J. G. Csernansky, Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors Ameliorate Behavioral Deficits in the Tg257 Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease, 181(1) Psychopharmacology (Berl). 145 (2005)
- Maureen Martin, Honxgin Dong, Dana Vallera, Mitchell Meltzer, Lu Lu, Robert Williams, Glenn D Rosen, John G. Csernansky, James Cheverud, Quantitative Trait Loci for Ventral Hippocampal Volume in BXD Recombinant Inbred Mice, Abstract presented at 2005 International Conference on Schizophrenia Research
J.D., with honors, University of Chicago, 2009
B.A. cum laude, Biology and Anthropology, Washington University in St. Louis, 2004
- State of New York
- The U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office