Holly Engelmann is a principal at McKool Smith. Her practice focuses on results-oriented, client-focused intellectual property litigation, complex business litigation, and mortgage-backed securities litigation. Working for industry leaders and private equity firms, Holly has substantial experience managing high-stakes litigation from client pitch through verdict and settlement. Holly also served as in-house legal counsel on secondment at Ericsson, working with their patent assertion and litigation groups.
Holly holds a J.D. from the Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law, and a B.A. in mathematics from Whittier College. She is licensed to practice in Texas, New York, and Florida.
During law school, Holly interned with Justice Craig T. Enoch of the Supreme Court of Texas and Justice David W. Chew of the Eighth Court of Appeals of Texas. She was also Ticketmaster’s first legal intern.
Holly serves as an adjunct professor at the University of North Texas, College of Law, teaching Practice Foundations. She is also a member of Dallas Women Lawyers Association, Attorneys Serving the Community, and the Dallas Bar Association.
Prior to law school, Holly was a high school math teacher in the greater Los Angeles area.
Rovi. Represents TiVo subsidiary Rovi in an ITC investigation and in the Central District of California in parallel patent infringement actions against Comcast involving numerous patents related to interactive search, interactive television program guides, DVR technology, and related technologies.
- HSBC Bank USA. Represents HSBC Bank in its capacity as Trustee in multiple RMBS actions in New York State Court.
- BMC Software Inc. Represented BMC in multiple patent infringement actions involving IT management solutions in the Eastern District of Texas and the District of Colorado.
- ContentGuard Holdings Inc. Represented ContentGuard in multiple patent infringement actions involving DRM technology in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Realtime Data LLC. Represented Realtime Data in multiple patent infringement actions involving data compression technology in the Southern District of New York.
- Ericsson Inc. Represented Ericsson in multiple patent infringement actions involving wireless products in the Eastern District of Texas and the ITC.
- Eolas Technologies Inc. Represented Eolas in a patent infringement action involving embedding interactive objects in web pages in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Medtronic Inc. Represented Medtronic in a patent infringement action involving drug-eluting stents in the District of New Jersey.
- Deep Marine Holdings Inc. Represented the Post-Confirmation Trustee in pursuing bankruptcy and civil claims in the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court.
- Lockheed Martin. Represented Lockheed Martin in an antitrust suit involving refurbishment of P-3 fixed wing maritime surveillance aircraft in the Northern District of Texas.
- Visto Corp. Represented Visto in several patent infringement actions related to cell phone technology in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Quorum Health Resources. Represented Quorum Health Resources in a breach of contract arbitration related to healthcare management.
- Enron Creditors Committee. Represented Enron’s unsecured creditors committee against various defendants close to the Enron collapse in the Southern District of Texas.
- Gulf South Pipeline Co. Represented Gulf South in a citizen suit brought on behalf of East Texas landowners alleging violations of the Pipeline Safety Act in the Eastern District of Texas.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized among Lawdragon's 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2019)
- Named Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2010-2013
Community & Professional Activities
- Adjunct Professor of Practice Foundations at the University of North Texas, College of Law
- Center for Women in Law Circle of Leaders
- Texas Lawyers for Children Board of Trustees
- Dallas Women Lawyers Association
- Attorneys Serving the Community
- Dallas Bar Association
Media & Events
- 17 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2019 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers09.19.2019
- "Wyeth, Cordis Stent Patents Are Invalid, Judge Says" McKool Smith client Medtronic wins summary judgment in patent defense case01.20.2012
- Holly Engelmann to Discuss Effective Settlement & Trial Strategies at the 2016 Silicon Valley IP Enforcement & Monetization Summit04.21.2016
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
B.A., Mathematics, Whittier College
- State of Texas
- State of New York
- State of Florida
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association