Holly Engelmann is a principal at McKool Smith. Her practice focuses on results-oriented, client-focused intellectual property litigation, complex business litigation, and mortgage-backed securities litigation. Working for industry leaders and private equity firms, Holly has substantial experience managing high-stakes litigation from client pitch through verdict and settlement. Holly also served as in-house legal counsel on secondment at Ericsson, working with their patent assertion and litigation groups.
Holly holds a J.D. from the Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law, and a B.A. in mathematics from Whittier College. She is licensed to practice in Texas, New York, and Florida.
During law school, Holly interned with Justice Craig T. Enoch of the Supreme Court of Texas and Justice David W. Chew of the Eighth Court of Appeals of Texas. She was also Ticketmaster’s first legal intern.
Holly serves as an adjunct professor at the University of North Texas, College of Law, teaching Practice Foundations. She is also a member of Dallas Women Lawyers Association, Attorneys Serving the Community, and the Dallas Bar Association.
Prior to law school, Holly was a high school math teacher in the greater Los Angeles area.
- BMC Software Inc. Represents BMC in a patent infringement action involving IT management solutions.
- ContentGuard Holdings Inc. Represents ContentGuard in patent infringement actions involving DRM technology.
- Realtime Data LLC. Represented Realtime Data in a patent infringement action involving data compression technology.
- Ericsson Inc. Represented Ericsson in multiple patent infringement actions involving wireless products in the Eastern District of Texas and in the ITC.
- Eolas Technologies Inc. Represented Eolas in a patent infringement action involving embedding interactive objects in web pages.
- Medtronic Inc. Represented Medtronic in a patent infringement action involving drug-eluting stents.
- Deep Marine Holdings Inc. Represented the Post-Confirmation Trustee in pursuing bankruptcy and civil claims.
- Lockheed Martin. Represented Lockheed Martin in an antitrust suit brought by L-3 involving refurbishment of P-3 fixed wing maritime surveillance aircraft by international governments.
- Visto Corp. Represented Visto Corporation in several patent infringement suits related to cell phone technology.
- Quorum Health Resources. Represented Quorum Health Resources in a breach of contract arbitration related to the healthcare management industry.
- Enron Creditors Committee. Represented Enron’s unsecured creditors against various defendants close to the Enron collapse.
- Gulf South Pipeline Co. Represented Gulf South in a citizen suit brought on behalf of East Texas landowners alleging violations of the Pipeline Safety Act.
Rankings & Honors
- Named Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2010-2013
Community & Professional Activities
- Adjunct Professor of Practice Foundations at the University of North Texas, College of Law
- Center for Women in Law Circle of Leaders
- Texas Lawyers for Children Board of Trustees
- Dallas Women Lawyers Association
- Attorneys Serving the Community
- Dallas Bar Association
Media & Events
- "Wyeth, Cordis Stent Patents Are Invalid, Judge Says" McKool Smith client Medtronic wins summary judgment in patent defense case01.20.2012
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
B.A., Mathematics, Whittier College
- State of Texas
- State of New York
- State of Florida
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association