Jeanne Irving is a principal in the Los Angeles office of McKool Smith Hennigan. She specializes in complex commercial litigation, with a focus on securities litigation and class actions. In addition to representing institutions, Jeanne has been lead counsel in the defense of numerous officers and directors in multibillion-dollar lawsuits alleging securities fraud, breaches of fiduciary duty, and related corporate torts. Jeanne has also represented plaintiffs pursuing fraud and other business tort and contract claims as well as asserting creditors’ rights in bankruptcy proceedings.
- BLIPS tax litigation. Represented several individual taxpayers in successfully asserting claims against sponsors of failed tax strategy.
- In re Priceline.com, Inc. securities litigation. Led the firm's team defending the founder of Priceline.com in consolidated securities fraud class actions and related litigation.
- In re Global Crossing Ltd. securities litigation. Defended former Global Crossing CEO, director, and other executives in consolidated securities fraud class actions and related litigation seeking tens of billions of dollars in damages.
- Gilbert v. Cohn. Part of the team that defended financial institutions in a class action asserting state law claims for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- PCL Japan, Ltd. v. Asia Netcom Corporation Limited. Defended former officers of Asia Global Crossing in a suit alleging breaches of fiduciary duty and fraudulent conveyance relating to a Japanese telecommunications cable station.
- In re Asia Global Crossing Ltd. Defended 15 former Asia Global Crossing executives in 10 actions asserting claims that ranged from fraud and breach of fiduciary duty to preferences and fraudulent transfers.
- Reddam v. GMAC Mortgage Corp. Part of the team that represented the founder of Ditech.com in an action to recover amounts GMAC Corporation had contracted to pay him when it purchased Ditech Funding Corp. from him (the matter was settled on confidential terms with a substantial recovery to the client).
- Glen Ivy litigation. Lead counsel for plaintiffs in suits brought by Chemical Bank, Barclay’s Bank PLC, Financial Security Assurance Inc., Marine Midland Bank, and other financial institutions asserting claims against Glen Ivy’s former auditors, officers, directors, and title and escrow companies, resulting in a sizeable recovery for Jeanne's clients.
Rankings & Honors
- Profiled in Chambers USA "Women in Law," 2012
Community & Professional Activities
- Panel of Arbitrators, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
Member of the Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Los Angeles Chapter
Media & Events
- Daily Journal, 05.12.2010
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1978
B.A., summa cum laude, Boston College, 1975
- Phi Beta Kappa
- State of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association