João Santa-Rita is an associate in McKool Smith's New York office. His practice focuses on insurance coverage litigation and counseling for corporate policyholders.
Before joining McKool Smith, he represented policyholders with respect to a wide range of issues at a litigation boutique focused on insurance recovery.
While attending law school, he was a member of the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court Team. João was also a Harold and Milton Durchslag Scholar and a Pro Bono Service Award recipient.
Prior to joining the firm:
- Representation of one of the world’s largest safety equipment manufacturers in litigation against, and negotiations with, nearly 30 insurance companies over hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance coverage.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 automotive parts distributor in negotiations over insurance coverage for bodily injury claims.
- Representation of receiverships and post-bankruptcy trusts in the recovery of insurance proceeds.
- Pro bono matters focusing on family law.
- "Unsettling the Asbestos Dust," BNA Insights, Vol. 41, No. 7 at 218 (February 18, 2013)
- "Insurance By Number," We’ve Got You Covered – Insurance Law Blog (February 10, 2014)
J.D., The University of Chicago Law School, 2012
B.A., Liberal Arts, St. John's College, 2009
- District of Columbia