Michael R. Coston is the director of Business Development & Marketing and oversees the firm's marketing, client development, public relations, and strategic communication initiatives. He has 17 years of experience leading business development and marketing efforts in the legal, corporate, and nonprofit sectors and specializes in executing litigation marketing and client development strategies for law firms.
As the first director of Business Development & Marketing for McKool Smith, Michael has led the firm through its first rebranding, digital advertising campaign, business development training program, website redesign, and client feedback program, among many other initiatives. Prior to joining McKool Smith, Michael developed and executed litigation marketing and business generation strategies at both Dechert LLP and Chadbourne & Parke LLP, two international AmLaw 100 law firms. Before entering legal marketing as the Director of Marketing at the New York-based law firm of Forchelli Curto et. al. LLP, Michael directed public relations and corporate communications for Tweezerman Corporation. He is a graduate of the University at Albany, where he received his master’s degree in Communication and bachelor's degrees in English and African-American studies.
Rankings & Honors
- Profiled in the Corporate INTL 2016 Annual Who’s Who Handbook: A definitive guide to individual advisory excellence, 2016
- Communicator Award: Gold Award of Excellence: Website Visual Appeal, 2013; Silver Award of Distinction: Website - Law and Legal Services, 2014
- Interactive Media Award (IMA): Best in Class - Legal: McKool Smith Website, 2012
Community & Professional Activities
Recent speaking engagements:
- Judge, Legal Marketing Association (LMA) "Your Honor Awards," (2017)
- Speaker; "How Will They Know Your Name? How Strategic Marketing Drives Your Firm's Success," ALANYC 2016 Education Symposium and Exposition; New York, New York; October 21, 2016
- Speaker; "Demonstrating Differentiation and Reaping the Rewards of Competitive Advantage," The American Lawyer Law Firm Marketing & Business Development Leadership Forum; New York, New York; May 4-5, 2016
- Panelist; "Walking the Talk: Building Diversity Into Everything You Do," 2015 ALANYC Educational Symposium & Exposition; New York, New York; October 15, 2015
- Speaker; "Approaching Litigation: Essential Marketing & Business Development Strategies for Litigation Practices," Legal Marketing Association Midwest Chapter; Milwaukee and St. Louis; November 18-19, 2014
M.A., Communication, University at Albany
B.A., English, University at Albany
B.A., African-American Studies, University at Albany