Robert King is an associate in McKool Smith Hennigan's Los Angeles office. He has extensive experience in complex business litigation, including litigation in state and federal courts in California and New York, as well as in arbitration. Robert’s practice focuses on contract disputes, securities actions and business fraud.
Robert is a member of the state bars of California and New York. Robert received his Juris Doctorate from Columbia Law School, where he served as an editor of the Columbia Law Review and was recognized as a James Kent Scholar. Prior to joining McKool Smith Hennigan, Robert worked at two top-ranked national law firms: Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom. He also served as a clerk to the Honorable Milan Smith on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of an asphalt manufacturer in connection with breach of a requirements contract.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of a large privately owned utility in connection with a contract dispute related to purchase of renewable energy.
- Obtained a verdict in favor of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in connection with litigation over the sale of church property.
- Represented note-holders in connection with securities fraud litigation in the Central District of California.
- Represented a national bank in connection with litigation over bank accounts used by a Ponzi scheme.
- Represented an international tequila company in a dispute with its U.S. distributor.
- Represented start-up beauty-product company in connection with equity dispute.
- Represented Toyota in connection with unintended acceleration claims.
- Represented small bio-medical company in connection with claims of securities fraud.
- Represented large wearable-technology company in litigation over theft of trade secrets.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of CLRA plaintiffs in litigation over sick puppies sold by Southern California pet-store chain.
- Represented a criminal defendant charged with insider-trading.
- Represented an international financial services firm in litigation related to Bernard Madoff’s Ponzi scheme.
- Represented owner of a gold-mining company in connection with fraudulent purchase of mining assets.
- Represented a large national bank in connection with litigation over mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented a large national bank in litigation over guaranteed bonds.
- Represented several clients in connection with SEC investigations.
Media & Events
J.D., Columbia University, 2012
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- James Kent Scholar
B.A., cum laude, Philosophy and Psychology, Dartmouth College, 2008
- Hon. Milan Smith, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- State of California
- State of New York