Robert W. Mockler is a principal in the Los Angeles office of McKool Smith Hennigan. Robert focuses on complex business litigation and has broad experience in state, federal, and international litigation and arbitration.
Robert served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Kim M. Wardlaw at the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and to the Honorable David O. Carter at the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Prior to joining the firm, Robert worked for the Amsterdam office of London-based Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, where he practiced international commercial arbitration.
He occasionally sits as an arbitrator.
- Representing lenders in a breach of contract action and related misrepresentation action arising out of the bankruptcy of a major Las Vegas resort project.
- Representing a wood flooring company and its principals in defense of an action for breach of an investment advisory contract and prosecution of counter-claims for misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representing members of an insolvent workers compensation self-insurance program for contractors in litigation with their insurance broker.
- Representing an individual against a major international bank in FINRA arbitration proceedings alleging claims arising out of a failed options trading strategy.
- Obtaining a jury verdict in favor of Sempra Generation on all counts following a four-week jury trial in a case challenging Sempra’s $6.6 billion energy supply contract with the California Department of Water Resources (“DWR”).
- Successfully defending Sempra in two AAA arbitration proceedings challenging the interpretation and implementation of the Sempra contract with DWR.
- Representing a major utility in litigation seeking refunds from governmental entities for overcharges on sales of power during the California energy crisis.
- Representing of the founder of mortgage lender DiTech in NASD arbitration proceedings against a Big Four accounting company regarding flawed tax advice.
- Representing several individual taxpayers in successfully asserting claims against sponsors of a failed tax strategy.
- Obtaining a favorable arbitration award on behalf of a Dutch investor in a Russian steel mill in a dispute with its partner.
- Representing and obtaining a favorable settlement on behalf of an Indian project development company in an arbitration dispute with major oil companies.
- Representing a global food service company and its Turkish subsidiary in an ICC arbitration asserting claims for breach of a purchase agreement for an in-flight catering business.
Rankings & Honors
- Southern California Super Lawyers “Rising Star,” 2006-2011
Community & Professional Activities
- Member, State Bar of California Committee on Federal Courts, 2012-2014
- Member, Advisory Board, Institute for Transnational Arbitration
- Member, Arbitration Panel, LACBA Attorney Client Mediation & Arbitration Services
- Member, Arbitration Panel, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
- Co-chair, Steering Committee, Los Angeles Regional Foodbank Food from the Bar Program, 2015 (Member, 2012-2014)
Media & Events
- Moderator; "Recent Developments in Federal Practice and Procedure," The State Bar of California 86th Annual Meeting; San Jose, CA
- Moderator; "State Court Practitioners’ Playbook for Mastering Federal Court," The State Bar of California 85th Annual Meeting
- “Litigating Raiding Cases in California,” Co-author, Corporate Raiding (PLI 2001)
J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 1998
- Order of the Coif
B.A., with honors, Stanford University, 1993
- State of California
- State of New York
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California, and the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers