Ryan Hargrave is a Principal in McKool Smith's Dallas office. Her practice focuses on complex commercial and intellectual property litigation in state and federal court across the country. Based on the successful results obtained for her clients, Ryan has been named to the annual Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars list of the state’s top young attorneys since 2014. She has successfully managed and tried matters spanning a broad range of technologies, including pharmaceuticals, wireless networking, cellular networking, and downhole oilfield tools. Ryan is experienced in all aspects of litigation, from pre-filing investigation to post-trial briefing and appeal.
Prior to law school, Ryan conducted research involving synthetic chemistry designed to create novel, electrochemically active molecules. While attending law school, Ryan was a notes and comments editor for the Houston Law Review and a judicial intern for Judge Jennifer Elrod of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and Judge Ewing Werlein Jr. of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- AptarGroup, Inc. Represents Aptar in a patent infringement action against 3M and Merck relating to metered dose inhalers.
- American Airlines. Represented American Airlines in a patent infringement matter relating to systems and methods for data management.
- MUSC Foundation for Research Development & Charleston Medical Therapeutics. Represented MUSC and Charleston Medical Therapeutics in a patent infringement action against AstraZeneca regarding use of the pharmaceutical Crestor® to treat inflammation.
- VirnetX Inc. Represented VirnetX Inc. in patent infringement suit against Apple related to systems and methods for efficiently creating secure communications. Following a week-long trial, the jury found VirnetX’s patents valid and awarded VirnetX a verdict of $368 million in damages for Apple’s infringement.
- Ericsson. Represented Ericsson in a patent infringement lawsuit against Intel, Acer, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, Netgear, and D-Link regarding 802.11n wireless technology. Following a jury trial in the Eastern District of Texas, a jury awarded over $10 million to Ericsson for the defendants’ infringement of Ericsson’s patented technology.
- Rockstar Consortium. Represented Rockstar Consortium in a patent infringement suit against Google, Samsung, and others involving a number of patents related to mobile handset technology.
- In re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig "Deepwater Horizon." Represented Halliburton and Sperry Sun, with focus on the development of expert and technical matters, in the MDL litigation related to the Macondo/Deepwater Horizon blowout.
- Bedrock Computer Technologies. Represented Bedrock in a patent infringement suit against Google involving methods for efficiently removing expired data from information storage and retrieval systems. Following a six-day trial in Tyler, Texas, the jury found the patent infringed, valid, and awarded a royalty to Bedrock.
Rankings & Honors
- Named a Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2014-2019
Media & Events
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 2010
- Houston Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barons
B.S., magna cum laude, Biochemistry, University of Texas at Dallas, May 2007
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit