Stuart Rennert is a principal in the Washington, DC office of McKool Smith. Stuart has extensive experience in False Claims Act litigation, financial fraud cases, the RICO statute, white collar criminal defense, corporate compliance, and defending companies and individuals involved in criminal and administrative investigations.
Prior to joining the firm, Stuart led a group of prosecution lawyers in United States v. Philip Morris, et al., the federal government's RICO enforcement action against the cigarette industry. Stuart also has substantial experience in complex civil litigation, patent litigation, and First Amendment litigation.
- Lead counsel for the relators in U.S. ex rel. Washington and Mahoney v. EDMC. The intervened case resulted in the largest settlement ever paid by an educational institution under the False Claims Act.
- Led a team of lawyers in prosecuting massive healthcare qui tam litigation against a large acute hospital chain. As a result of those efforts, a substantial award was recovered on behalf of the United States in the litigation and relators received an unprecedented share of the recovery.
Rankings & Honors
- Special Commendation Award, United States Department of Justice
Community & Professional Activities
- Stuart teaches classes and seminars on the False Claims Act and complex litigation and is an adjunct faculty member at Georgetown Law School
Media & Events
- The AmLaw Daily, 01.31.2012
- Law360, 01.31.2012
J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1992
A.B., magna cum laude, Amherst College, 1989
- District of Columbia
- State of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section