J. Wiley George is a Principal in McKool Smith's Houston office. Wiley has resolved a wide variety of complex commercial disputes through trial, arbitration, motion practice and settlement. He has considerable first-chair experience handling cases involving business torts, commercial fraud, financial restructuring, insurance coverage, mergers and acquisitions, securities, trademark infringement and unfair competition. Wiley has been recognized as a Super Lawyer and is included in The Best Lawyers in America, an exhaustive peer-review survey of leading attorneys.
- Representing a litigation trust in pursuit of tens of millions of dollars (not in) in breach of fiduciary duty claims against a Board of Directors (RAAM Global Litigation Trust v. Settle, et al).
- Representing the owner of a power plant in a confidential arbitration with its EPC contractor over construction of the power plant.
- Represented the Board of Directors of LRR Energy in defense against unitholder claims, obtaining a favorable class settlement (Hurwitz v. LRR Energy Board, et al).
Before joining McKool Smith:
- Representation of the Special Committee of a Board of Directors in the complete dismissal of stockholder's suit seeking $200 million in damages (Lenois, et al. v. Erin Energy Corporation, et al.)
- Represented a litigation trust seeking to avoid $1.7 billion of fraudulent transfers in a North Carolina federal court trial (The FairPoint Communications Litigation Trust v. Verizon Communications, Inc.; In the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina).
- Representation of Harris County, Texas in a trial over alleged violations of the Voting Rights Act in connection with redistricting of elected maps (James Rodriguez, et al. v. Harris County, et al.; In the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas).
- Represented the buyers in a complete dismissal of shareholder lawsuits over a $6 billion merger (In re: Kinetic Concepts, Inc. Shareholder Litigation; In the District Court of Bexar County, Texas).
- Represented one of the world's largest banks in a multi-week trial over the alleged wrongful dishonor of a $33 million letter of credit (Midcontinent Express Pipeline v. Man Industries (India) Ltd. v. The Bank of Tokyo – Mitsubishi UFD, Ltd.; In the District Court of Harris County, Texas).
- Representation of the City of Houston in a trial over the legality of increases in the City's water and sewer rates (In the Matter of the City of Houston, Texas; In the District Court of Travis County, Texas).
- Represented an ad hoc committee of convertible noteholders in a confirmation trial in Delaware Bankruptcy Court (In re: Spansion, Inc.; In the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware).
- Represented the NCAA in a wrongful death suit brought by the family of a student-athlete who played for one of The NCAA's member institutions (Dale Lloyd, et al. v. the National Collegiate Athletic Association, et al.; In the District Court of Harris County, Texas).
- Represented a regional airline carrier in an arbitration against a major airline carrier over the interpretation of various aspects of the contracts governing the parties' relationship (Continental Airlines, Inc. v. ExpressJet Holdings, Inc. et al.).
- Represented a publicly traded energy company in a Delaware Chancery Court trial over a failed merger with another publicly traded energy company (Frontier Oil Corporation v. Holly Corporation; In the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware in and for New Castle County).
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized among The Best Lawyers in America for litigation: Commercial, and Construction Law (2015-2022)
- Recognized as a Super Lawyer in Texas (2004-2006, 2013-2020)
Community & Professional Activities
- Houston Bar Foundation
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Houston Bar Association (Co-Chair, LegalLines Committee)
Media & Events
- 21 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2022 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 11 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- 20 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2021 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 11 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.18.2020
J.D., cum laude, Baylor Law School, Baylor Law Review, 1986.
B.B.A., with honors, Baylor University, 1983.
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
The U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas