- J.D., Tulane University School of Law, 1996
- B.A., Texas State University, 1992
- State of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Western, Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
David Sochia is a Principal in the Dallas Office of McKool Smith whose practice deals with complex commercial litigation and intellectual property litigation.
- i2 Technologies, Inc. (now JDA Software Group) v. Oracle Corp. Mr. Sochia represented i2 in a patent infringement action involving supply chain planning and application management patents. The parties reached a settlement agreement following the pretrial conference.
- Affiliated Computer Services. Mr. Sochia defended ACS in a patent infringement lawsuit brought by JPMorgan Chase in the District of Delaware, focusing on lock box, check imaging, and stored-value card patents asserted by JPMorgan. The case settled shortly after the summary judgment and Markman hearing.
- i2 v. SAP. Represented i2 Technologies, a pioneer in supply chain management software, as plaintiff against SAP asserting infringement of seven patents, in 2008. SAP settled shortly after the Markman hearing.
- TGIP, Inc. Following a two-week trial in Beaumont, Texas, in 2007, David helped TGIP win a nine-figure jury verdict of willful infringement against AT&T related to two prepaid calling card patents. In addition to the verdict against AT&T, co-defendant MCI settled during the second day of trial for a confidential amount. Following a JMOL of non-infringement, the case was settled while on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Visto Corp. Represented Visto in patent infringement litigation against RIM involving push email technology. After Visto's patents were confirmed in a reexamination proceeding, RIM settled with Visto.
- Freescale Semiconductor. Represented Freescale in patent infringement litigation against LSI Corporation before the International Trade Commission and in the Eastern District of Texas.
- 911EP, Inc. Represented 911EP in patent infringement litigation involving LED light bar technology.
- BearingPoint GmbH. Represented BearingPoint GMBH in a lawsuit involving an audit of a Houston based chemical company.
- ORIX Capital Markets, LLC. Represented ORIX in several matters involving breaches of representations and warranties made in connection with the sale of commercial mortgage-backed securities into various billion-dollar securitization trusts.
- LaSalle National Bank, N.A. Represented the trustee LaSalle National Bank, N.A. v. Nomura Securities, involving a breach of contract action involving breaches of representations and warranties made in connection with the sale of a $50 million commercial mortgage loan to a $1.6 billion securitization trust.
- Deutsche Bank (German American Capital Corp.) Mr. Sochia represented German American Capital Corporation in a breach-of-contract and fraud action involving a bank’s custodial duties over mortgage loans deposited into a securitization trust.
Professional & Community Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association and Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
Awards & Recognition
- March 25, 2009
- August 1, 2008