- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law, 1976
- B.A., Stanford University,with distinction,1973
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
Steve Wolens is a Principal in the Dallas office of McKool Smith. His practice involves the representation of clients in complex class-action claims and commercial litigation. He is peer-reviewed as an AV rated lawyer by Martindale Hubbell.
Mr. Wolens served as a member of the Texas House of Representatives from 1981 to 2005. During his lengthy public service, he authored landmark legislation covering partnerships and limited liability corporations, ethics reforms, antitrust laws and electric deregulation.
Texas Monthly magazine named him as one of the "Ten Best Legislators" in Texas on six different occasions. He also has been named to the list of Texas Super Lawyers 2003-2013.
Steve was born in Dallas and grew up in Corsicana, where his family founded the K. Wolens department stores. During high school, he served as a page in the U.S. Congress and worked in the Washington office of Congressman Olin Teague. He is married to the immediate former mayor of the City of Dallas, Laura Miller. They have three children.
City of San Antonio, Texas, et al. v. Hotels.com, L.P. (W.D.Tex., July 1, 2011, Civil No. SA-06-CA-381-OG) 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 72665. A lead counsel for plaintiffs in this class action against online travel companies for non-payment of hotel occupancy taxes. The class of 173 Texas cities was certified in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas.
In Re Transient Occupancy Cases, City of San Diego, California v. Hotels.com, L.P., et al., California Supreme Court Case No. S218400. Represents the City of San Diego in this suit against online travel companies for non-payment of transient occupancy taxes filed in the California Superior Court.
In the Matter of the Tax Appeal of Travelocity.com, LP v. Director of Taxation, State of Hawaii, SCAP No. 13-0002896, In the Supreme Court of the State of Hawaii. Represents the State of Hawaii against online travel companies for non-payment of general excise and transient accommodations taxes.
Prior to joining McKool Smith, Mr. Wolens handled complex toxic tort litigation in addition to numerous class-action lawsuits. He has served as lead counsel in more than 3,000 individual toxic tort cases heard in more than 20 states.
Awards & Recognition
- Named a "Texas Litigation Star" by Benchmark Plaintiff, 2012
- Texas Super Lawyers, Law & Politics Media, Inc. and Texas Monthly, 2003 - 2013
- Ten Best Legislators, Texas Monthly, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1993, 1991, 1983
- Outstanding Legislator of the 78th Texas Legislature, AARP Texas Chapter, 2003
- Legislator of the Year, Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association, 2001
- Legislator of the Year, National Retail Federation, 1999
- Legislator of the Year, Texas Municipal League, 1999
- Public Service Achievement Award, Common Cause, 1999, 1997, 1993, 1991
- Legislative Crime Fighter of the Year, Greater Dallas Crime Commission, 1993 and 1991
- Outstanding Legislator, Texas Business, 1983
- Steve Wolens Featured in Documentary “SWITCH: The Journey to a Competitive Electricity Market in Texas”April 3, 2017
- September 29, 2016
- October 6, 2015
- November 2013
- September 9, 2013
- November 2012
- September 10, 2012
- November 22, 2011
- July 18, 2011
- March 29, 2010
- September 15, 2008
- August 15, 2013
- April 4, 2013
- March 22, 2013
- August 10, 2011
- July 6, 2011
- McKool Smith Secures Verdict for Texas Cities in Class Action Against Online Hotel Booking CompaniesOctober 30, 2009
- February 18, 2009
- July 1, 2007Municipal Lawyer