- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law, 1976
- B.A., Stanford University,with distinction,1973
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
Steve Wolens is a Principal in the Dallas office of McKool Smith. His practice involves the representation of clients in complex class-action claims and commercial litigation. He is peer-reviewed as an AV rated lawyer by Martindale Hubbell.
Mr. Wolens served as a member of the Texas House of Representatives from 1981 through 2005. During his lengthy public service, he authored landmark legislation covering partnerships and limited liability corporations, ethics reforms, antitrust laws and electric deregulation.
Texas Monthly magazine named him as one of the "Ten Best Legislators" in Texas on six different occasions. He also has been named to the list of Texas Super Lawyers 2003-2012.
Steve was born in Dallas and grew up in Corsicana, where his family founded the K. Wolens department stores. During high school, he served as a page in the U.S. Congress and worked in the Washington office of Congressman Olin Teague. He is married to the immediate former mayor of the City of Dallas, Laura Miller. They have three children.
- City of San Antonio, Texas, et al. v. Hotels.com, L.P. Lead counsel for plaintiffs in this class action against online travel companies for non-payment of transient occupancy taxes. The class of 175 Texas cities was certified in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas.
- City of San Diego, California v. Hotels.com, L.P. Represents the City of San Diego in this suit against online travel companies for non-payment of transient occupancy taxes filed in the California Superior Court.
Prior to joining McKool Smith, Mr. Wolens handled complex toxic tort litigation in addition to numerous class-action lawsuits. He has served as lead counsel in more than 3,000 individual toxic tort cases heard in more than 20 states.
Awards & Recognition
- Named a "Texas Litigation Star" by Benchmark Plaintiff, 2012
- Texas Super Lawyers, Law & Politics Media, Inc. and Texas Monthly, 2003 - 2012
- Ten Best Legislators, Texas Monthly, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1993, 1991, 1983
- Outstanding Legislator of the 78th Texas Legislature, AARP Texas Chapter, 2003
- Legislator of the Year, Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association, 2001
- Legislator of the Year, National Retail Federation, 1999
- Legislator of the Year, Texas Municipal League, 1999
- Public Service Achievement Award, Common Cause, 1999, 1997, 1993, 1991
- Legislative Crime Fighter of the Year, Greater Dallas Crime Commission, 1993 and 1991
- Outstanding Legislator, Texas Business, 1983
- September 9, 2013
- November 2012
- September 10, 2012
- November 22, 2011
- July 18, 2011
- March 29, 2010
- September 15, 2008
- August 15, 2013
- April 4, 2013
- Online Travel Companies Ordered to Pay Approximately $225M in Penalties and Unpaid General Excise TaxesMarch 22, 2013
- August 10, 2011
- July 6, 2011
- McKool Smith Announces $20 Million Verdict for Texas Cities in Class Action Against Online Hotel Booking CompaniesOctober 30, 2009
- February 18, 2009
- July 1, 2007Municipal Lawyer