- J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law, 2002. Co-Editor-in-Chief Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal, Board of Advocates, Order of Barristers
- MBA, Xavier University, 1998
- B.S., with high honors, Mechanical Engineering, Ohio Northern University, 1996
- State of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
John Campbell is a Principal in the Austin office of McKool Smith whose practice deals with patent litigation, intellectual property and commercial litigation.
While in law school, John received the Outstanding Senior Appellate Advocacy Award, the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal Best Note Award, the Dean’s Achievement Award in Evidence, and numerous advocacy awards. Additionally, he has authored several articles on the subject of patent law.
Prior to joining the firm, John clerked for the Honorable Sue L. Robinson for the United States District Court for the District of Delaware.
John currently serves as coach for the University of Texas Moot Court Team. The team’s honors include: 2004 National Semi-Finalists, 2004 Regional Champions, 2004 Regional Best Brief and 2004 Regional Top Two Advocates.
- American Video Graphics. Mr. Campbell represented plaintiff AVG in patent infringement actions involving computer graphics and operating system software.
- Medtronic, Inc. Eckhard U. Alt v. Medtronic, Inc. Represented Medtronic in patent infringement litigation related to cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators.
- EWI Holdings. Representing EWI in a patent infringement suit, EWI Holdings, Inc. v. PRE Solutions, involving patents covering methods and systems for PIN distribution involving pre-paid products and services.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation. Representing Lockheed in a patent infringement suit involving patents covering non-destructive aircraft testing and methodologies of non-destructive testing, Aerobotics, Inc. v. Lockheed Martin Corporation.
- Charter Communications, Inc. Representing Charter in a suit for breach of contract, CTSI v. Charter Communications Inc. et. al.
Professional & Community Activities
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
Awards & Recognition
- Named to the list of Texas Super Lawyers in Intellectual Property Litigation
- Named a Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2007-2013
- September 5, 2014
- September 9, 2013
- March 8, 2013
- March 9, 2012
- March 17, 2011
- June 21, 2010
- March 26, 2010
- March 25, 2009
- August 1, 2008
- April 1, 2007
- June 27, 2013
- April 5, 2013
- June 9, 2011
- December 21, 2010
- December 22, 2009
- August 11, 2009
- May 20, 2009
- July 27, 2007