- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with high honors, 1976. Law Review, Chancellors, Teaching Quiz Master
- B.B.A., Accounting, with honors, University of Texas at Austin, 1973
- State of Texas
- State of California
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- The U.S. District Courts for the Central and Southern Districts of California
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Texas Bar Foundation
Lew LeClair has been a trial lawyer for more than 30 years with a focus on commercial and intellectual property litigation on both the plaintiff and defense side. He is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Mr. LeClair is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer in his field by major legal directories, including Benchmark Litigation and Chambers USA, which notes that he is renowned for being "capable and smart," and for having "a great eye for detail" in general commercial litigation matters. He is also ranked by Best Lawyers in several practice areas, including Bet-the-Company, Commercial, Securities, Bankruptcy, IP, and Patent Litigation.
In re ACS Securities Litigation. Consolidated C.A. No. 4940-VCP (Chancery Court of Delaware). Served as lead counsel for founder and Chairman of ACS in connection with merger of company with Xerox Corporation and significant issues regarding dual class stock. Cases pending in both Texas and Delaware consolidated and managed largely in the Chancery Court. Very favorable settlement for client who obtained significant premium over common shareholders.
Options Backdating Litigation. Lead counsel on major options backdating litigation for key officers of public company. Litigation pending in Delaware Chancery Court and Texas state and federal court.
MetroPCS v Merrill Lynch. Lead counsel on $100 million claim for securities fraud and negligent misrepresention relating to auction rate securities. Pending in state court in Texas and in FINRA arbitration.
Lake Las Vegas Creditors Trust. Lead counsel for Creditors Trust in action for recovery of $470M fraudulent transfer arising from transfer from real estate resort prior to bankruptcy.
Enron Creditors Committee and Enron Creditors Recovery Corporation. Served as lead litigation counsel for the Creditors Committee in Official Committee of Unsecured Committee v. Fastow, et. al., and in multi-district proceedings in Houston involving claims arising from the Enron Corp. bankruptcy. This litigation, one of the largest, if not the largest in American judicial history, involved massive discovery and multiple claims and parties. Successfully resolved numerous claims and suits brought on behalf of the bankruptcy estate against various defendants connected with the financial collapse of Enron.
Options Backdating Litigation. Serving as lead counsel for certain officer and director defendants in connection with several pending cases alleging that options of a public company were improperly backdated.
Parrish, et. al. v. NFL Players, Inc. Serving as co-lead counsel in nationwide class action relating to sharing of licensing income with retired professional football players.
Patent Litigation. Served as litigation counsel in a number of significant patent litigation matters in the Eastern District of Texas and Delaware.
Walmart trade secret litigation. Served as plaintiffs’ lead trial counsel in large trade secret case in Morris County, Arkansas.
Awards & Recognition
- Ranked in Chambers USA as a leading commercial litigator (Band 2). The 2016 edition describes him as "brilliant when it comes to writing and researching," and notes that his "strategic senses are really well honed."
- Ranked as a Commercial and Intellectual Property "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation.
- Ranked in the 2015, 2016, and 2017 editions of Best Lawyers in America as a leading lawyer in Litigation: Bet-the-Company, Commercial, Bankruptcy, Intellectual Property, Patent, and Securities.
- Named twice to the Dallas Business Journal listing of top litigators in Dallas.
- Named by his peers to the list of Texas Super Lawyers every year since 2003.
- Listed in the Lawdragon 500.
- September 6, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- June 3, 2016
- August 18, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- October 24, 2014
- September 5, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- November 2013
- September 9, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- November 2012
- September 10, 2012
- August 27, 2012
- November 22, 2011
- September 13, 2011
- September 2, 2010
- McKool Smith's Intellectual Property and White Collar Defense Practices Recognized in 2010 Chambers USA rankingsJune 10, 2010
- August 6, 2009
- March 16, 2009
- October 13, 2008
- September 15, 2008
- June 13, 2008
- June 13, 2008
- April 1, 2008
- October 10, 2007
- October 1, 2007
- September 25, 2007
- January 1, 2007
- October 9, 2006
- June 30, 2006
- March 2, 2016
- March 21, 2013
- November 8, 2008
- February 15, 2007
- August 1, 2011Texas Lawyer