- J.D., cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 2002. Order of the Barons. Articles Editor, Houston Law Review
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Rice University, 1997
- B.S., magna cum laude, Aerospace Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1995
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
Scott Hejny is a Principal in the Dallas office of McKool Smith with a practice concentrating on commercial and intellectual property litigation.
Mr. Hejny has experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of intellectual property disputes, including cases involving electrical, chemical, mechanical, and pharmaceutical technologies. Mr. Hejny is a registered patent attorney.
Before earning his law degree, Mr. Hejny worked as a Patent Agent for a Houston law firm. While there, he drafted and prosecuted numerous patent applications in the electrical and mechanical arts. Mr. Hejny has also worked as a design engineer for a major oilfield services company.
- Halliburton Energy Services Inc. Represents Halliburton as plaintiff in a patent infringement suit against BJ Services Company before the American Arbitration Association. The suit alleges infringement of several patents covering hydrajet fracturing of oil and gas wells.
- IN RE: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig Deepwater Horizon. Represents Halliburton and Sperry Sun in the MDL litigation related to the Macondo/Deepwater Horizon blowout. The case is currently pending in the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Weatherford International v. Halliburton. Represents Halliburton in a suit in which Weatherford alleges infringement of patents covering method of forming composite parts for use in downhole tools, such as frac plugs, bridge plugs, and packers.
- Bedrock v. Google. Represented Bedrock as trial counsel in a patent infringement action related to a software patent covering a method for improving the speed and efficiency of web servers. Following a six-day trial in Tyler, Texas, the McKool Smith team won a jury verdict in favor of Bedrock in which the jury found the patent infringed, valid, and awarded a royalty to Bedrock. The case then settled prior to the entry of judgment.
- EDS. Represented EDS in a patent infringement case in the Eastern District of Texas involving image-based check processing.
- i2 Technologies v. Oracle. Represented i2 Technologies as plaintiff in a patent infringement suit against Oracle.
- i2 Technologies v. SAP. Represented i2 Technologies as plaintiff against SAP asserting infringement of seven patents. SAP settled shortly after the Markman hearing.
- US Synthetic Corporation and Halliburton Energy Services Inc. Represented US Synthetic and Halliburton against patent infringement claims filed by ReedHycalog based on four patents related to leached diamond drill-bit cutting elements. The case settled favorably shortly after the pretrial conference.
- Varel International Industries, LP. Represented Varel against patent infringement claims filed by ReedHycalog based on based on four patents related to leached diamond drill-bit cutting elements.
- Nortel Networks. Represented Nortel Networks in patent infringement litigation related to telecommunications software and hardware.
Professional & Community Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
Past Director, Intellectual Property Section of the Dallas Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Named a Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2008-2012
- March 9, 2012
- March 17, 2011
- March 26, 2010
- March 25, 2009
- August 1, 2008