- J.D., Stanford Law School, 2009. Order of the Coif. Stanford Law and Policy Review, Editor. Stanford Environmental Law Journal, Editor
- B.A., Economics and History, magna cum laude, Trinity University, 2003
- State of Texas
Blake Bailey is an associate in McKool Smith's Houston office. He represents clients in a broad range of bankruptcy and bankruptcy litigation-related matters, including disputes involving breaches of contract, breaches of fiduciary duties, recovery of fraudulent transfers, and recovery of secured property, among others. Blake’s clients include national and international companies, officers and directors, debtors, trustees, and creditors and creditors’ committees.
Upon graduation from Stanford Law School, Blake served as a law clerk for Chief Judge Edith Jones of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in Houston. During law school, he was a research assistant for Professor Michael Klausner for Stanford's Securities Class Action Clearinghouse. After completing his undergraduate studies at Trinity University, he worked at the Federal Reserve in Washington D.C. for several years where he forecasted investment levels in the U.S. economy and analyzed underlying factors in U.S. productivity.
- CenturyLink. Representing CenturyLink in defense of a mass-action lawsuit involving sixty-four plaintiffs in five discrete groups that brought securities fraud claims relating to a sale of control of a distressed company.
- Canyon Ridge Resort, LLC Representing a hotel development firm against an investment bank for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract.
- Oil Producers Litigation Counsel to more than 80 independent Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas oil producers in lawsuits against various purchasers of crude oil, including Goldman Sachs subsidiary J. Aron & Company and a BP subsidiary arising out of a major midstream energy transporter’s bankruptcy.
- E-Recycling Group, Inc. Counsel to E-Recycling in litigation against a joint-venturer involving breaches of contracts.
- Freddie Mac. Represents Freddie Mac in litigation related to the bankruptcy of Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp., which was the largest independent mortgage lender in the United States that collapsed due to fraud in 2009.
- CenturyLink, Inc. Counsel to CenturyLink in a shareholder oppression lawsuit brought by former shareholders of a former subsidiary.
- Liquidation Trustee for Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc. Counsel to the Gulf Fleet Liquidating Trustee in litigation against former insiders for breaches of fiduciary duties and receipt of fraudulent transfers.
Past Representative Matters
- EJF Capital, LLC. Represented EJF Capital against contract action for breach of Indenture Agreement.
- Liquidation Trustee for BearingPoint, Inc. Represented the BearingPoint Liquidating Trustee in litigation against former officers and directors for breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Liquidation Trustee for Deep Marine, Inc. Represented the Deep Marine Liquidating Trustee in litigation against former insiders for breaches of fiduciary duty and receipt of fraudulent transfers.
- April 25, 2016
- Bloomberg report: "Canyon Ridge lawsuit ends after four years and millions in payments to developer"July 7, 2015