McKool Smith is consistently recognized as one of the country's most formidable trial firms. Some of the our recent honors include being awarded:
- "Litigation Department of the Year" - Texas Lawyer (2017)
- "U.S. Patent Plaintiff Firm of the Year" - Managing IP (2017)
- "Insurance Litigation Department of the Year" - The New York Law Journal (2017)
- Insurance Practice Group of the Year” - Law360 (2016)
- “IP Firm of the Year” - Benchmark Litigation (2016 and 2015)
Leading legal publications and rankings around the world recognize our track record of success in high-stakes, bet-the-company litigation.
- The Legal 500 (2017)
For the past two decades, The Legal 500 Series has provided the most comprehensive worldwide coverage currently available on legal services providers in more than 100 countries. McKool Smith's 2017 rankings include:
- Ranked nationally as a leading firm for Insurance: Advice to Policyholders. “Experience across a wide range of insurance issues, including asbestos-related matters, as well as other product liability, environmental, toxic tort cases, and D&O matters. The team also has significant regulatory expertise.”
- Ranked nationally as a leading firm for Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation. “A very professional and focused firm that has its clients’ commercial interests at heart.”
- Recommended lawyers: Sam Baxter, Douglas A. Cawley, Robin Cohen, Kenneth Frenchman, Keith McKenna, Mike McKool, Natasha Romagnoli, and Ted Stevenson.
- Benchmark Litigation (2017)
Benchmark Litigation is the only publication on the market to focus exclusively on litigation in the U.S. The guide’s results are the culmination of a six-month research period that allows researchers to conduct extensive interviews with litigators and their clients. McKool Smith's 2017 rankings include:
- Ranked nationally as a leading Intellectual Property firm
- Ranked as a “Highly Recommended” litigation firm in Texas
- 13 "Litigation Stars": Sam Baxter, Douglas A. Cawley, Robin Cohen, Robert Cote, J. Michael Hennigan, Gayle Klein, Lew LeClair, Mike McKool, Ashley Moore, Joshua Newcomer, Hugh Ray, Elizabeth Sherwin, and Ted Stevenson, III
- Named 2016 “IP Firm of the Year"
- Best Lawyers in America (2017)
Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. It compiles lists of outstanding lawyers by conducting exhaustive peer-review surveys in which thousands of leading lawyers confidentially evaluate their professional peers. McKool Smith's 2018 rankings include:
- McKool Smith lawyers ranked as individual leaders in their field: Sam Baxter, Kevin Burgess, Douglas A. Cawley, Scott Cole, Gary Cruciani, Kirk Dillman, Roderick Dorman, Lawrence Hadley, J. Michael Hennigan, William LaFuze, Lewis LeClair, Robert Manley, Mike McKool, Steven J. Pollinger, Hugh Ray, Theodore Stevenson III, and Michael Swartz.
- Chambers Global (2017)
Chambers Global identifies leading firms in more than 180 countries through extensive research with thousands of lawyers and their clients. McKool Smith's 2017 rankings include:
- Ranked as a leading U.S. Intellectual Property litigation firm
- Individual rankings:
- Mike McKool and J. Michael Hennigan ranked as leading U.S. trial lawyers
- Mike McKool ranked as a leading US patent litigator
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 (2017)
McKool Smith received top national and regional rankings in the 2017 edition of IAM Patent 1000 – The World's Leading Patent Professionals.
- Recommended nationally for Plaintiff Litigation
- Ranked Gold Tier in Texas for Patent Litigation
- Managing Intellectual Property (2017)
Managing IP is the leading global resource for IP news and analysis and covers all aspects of IP law and practice, focusing on the business and practical issues of importance to IP owners. McKool Smith's 2017 rankings include:
- Awarded North America’s “Plaintiff IP Firm of the Year,” and “Patent Contentious Firm (South).”
- Highly recommended in Texas and California for intellectual property litigation.
- 8 principals named “IP Stars": Robert Auchter, Samuel Baxter, Douglas A. Cawley, William LaFuze, Mike McKool, Steven Pollinger, Theodore Stevenson III, and T. Gordon White
- Named one of the top patent litigation firms in the nation
- Chambers USA (2017)
Chambers USA ranks the nation’s leading firms and lawyers in an extensive range of practice areas. The research is in-depth and client-focused; the guide is read by industry-leading companies and organizations across the U.S. and worldwide. McKool Smith's 2017 rankings include:
- Ranked nationally as a leading firm for Intellectual Property Litigation. “They are involved in some of the biggest and best cases.”
- Ranked as a leading firm for Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Policyholder in New York. “Well known for regularly securing key verdicts at trial and appellate level for major corporate clients facing significant liability exposure.”
- Ranked as a leading Commercial Litigation firm in Texas. “They are doing an outstanding job - they have great command of the details, give good recommendations on strategy, and provide an excellent written work product.”
- Ranked as a leading Intellectual Property firm in Texas. “McKool Smith continues to blaze trails in the litigation arena.”
- Ranked as a leading Bankruptcy/Restructuring firm in Texas. “Compact team renowned for advising on bankruptcy litigation, with regular engagements on complex and high-value work.”
- 17 of the firm's lawyers are ranked as individual leaders in their field(s): Samuel Baxter, Kevin Burgess, Douglas A. Cawley, Robin Cohen, Roderick Dorman, Kenneth H. Frenchman, J. Michael Hennigan, Gayle Klein, William LaFuze, Lewis LeClair, Kyle Lonergan, Keith McKenna, Mike McKool, Paul Moak, Steven Pollinger, Hugh Ray, and Theodore Stevenson III.
- Law360 (2016)
- Recognized as a 2016 Top Five “Go-To” Trial Firm.
- Recognized as a 2016 “Insurance Practice Group of the Year.”
- Named a 2015 “Most Feared Plaintiffs Firm.”