Geoff Smith is a principal in the Austin office of McKool Smith whose practice deals with intellectual property and complex commercial litigation.
Geoff was a member of The Review of Litigation at the University of Texas School of Law. Prior to law school, Geoff published in the areas of polymer chemistry and engineering.
- Sanofi & Regeneron v. Immunex & Amgen. Representation of Sanofi entities and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals in district court patent infringement litigation regarding their novel biologic Dupixent®, and related inter partes review (IPR) proceedings before the USPTO challenging a patent held by Immunex/Amgen claiming antibodies that target human interleukin-4 receptor.
Medtronic v. Boston Scientific. Represented Medtronic in successful jury trial asserting patents related to block copolymer formulations used in balloon angioplasty catheters.
Holly Corporation. Frontier Oil Corporation v. Holly Corporation. Represented Holly in a breach of contract action that resulted from a failed merger with Frontier. The case was tried to a judge in Delaware Chancery Court with the decision still pending.
- National Instruments Corporation. National Instruments Corp. v. The Mathworks Inc. Representing National Instruments in a patent infringement suit involving patents covering graphical modeling and programming.
- Parental Guide. Parental Guide v. Funai. Represented Parental Guide in a patent infringement suit involving patents directed to V-Chip technologies.
- EDS. DataTreasury v. EDS. Representing EDS in a patent infringement suit involving image-based check processing.
- Nortel Networks. Ciena Corporation v. Nortel Networks Inc. et al. Represented Nortel in a patent infringement suit involving telecommunications technology.
Community & Professional Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
Media & Events
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 2003
Ph.D., Polymer Science and Engineering with a minor in Chemistry, University of Southern Mississippi, 2001
B.S., Chemistry, with a concentration in Biochemistry, Duke University, 1993
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- American Bar Association