Geoff Smith is a principal in the Austin office of McKool Smith whose practice deals with intellectual property and complex commercial litigation.
Geoff was a member of The Review of Litigation at the University of Texas School of Law. Prior to law school, Geoff published in the areas of polymer chemistry and engineering.
- Holly Corporation. Frontier Oil Corporation v. Holly Corporation. Represented Holly in a breach of contract action that resulted from a failed merger with Frontier. The case was tried to a judge in Delaware Chancery Court with the decision still pending.
- National Instruments Corporation. National Instruments Corp. v. The Mathworks Inc. Representing National Instruments in a patent infringement suit involving patents covering graphical modeling and programming.
- Parental Guide. Parental Guide v. Funai. Represented Parental Guide in a patent infringement suit involving patents directed to V-Chip technologies.
- EDS. DataTreasury v. EDS. Representing EDS in a patent infringement suit involving image-based check processing.
- Nortel Networks. Ciena Corporation v. Nortel Networks Inc. et al. Represented Nortel in a patent infringement suit involving telecommunications technology.
Community & Professional Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
Media & Events
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 2003
Ph.D., Polymer Science and Engineering with a minor in Chemistry, University of Southern Mississippi, 2001
B.S., Chemistry, with a concentration in Biochemistry, Duke University, 1993
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- American Bar Association