A principal and founder of McKool Smith, Phil Smith has managed and tried high-profile business cases nationwide for and against some of America's largest corporations. He has served as lead counsel in major trials and litigation for the largest computer services and telecommunications company in the world, as well as for a nationally well-known investment and private equity firm.
- Electronic Data Systems (EDS). Representation of EDS in Virginia and Texas against H. Ross Perot and Perot Systems Corp. (breach of non-competition agreement); representation of EDS against Computer Associates Inc. (breach of contract and antitrust); representation of EDS against Life Insurance Company of Georgia (breach of contract) and CHUBB Life (breach of contract).
- Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst. Representation of Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst against Diversified Developers Inc. and General Growth Properties Inc. (breach of contract), as well as other significant litigation in and outside of Texas.
- Affiliated Computer Services (ACS). Representation of ACS, a Fortune 500 data services company, in various litigation matters.
- Holly Corporation. Representation of Holly Corporation, a NYSE-listed oil refiner in major cases, including tort and antitrust litigation in El Paso, Texas, and New Mexico.
- Southwest Sports Group. Representation of Southwest Sports Group, a Texas-based operator of professional sports teams and a commercial real estate developer, as well as the Texas Rangers (professional baseball) and the Dallas Stars (professional hockey) in various litigation matters since 1998.
Rankings & Honors
- Best Lawyers in America
- Texas Super Lawyers
- Lawdragon's 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers
Media & Events
LL.M., Harvard Law School, 1970
J.D., cum laude, Baylor University, 1969
- Editor, Baylor Law Review, 1968-69
B.B.A., University of Texas, 1966
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association