David I. Schiefelbein is an associate in the New York office of McKool Smith. David's practice spans a wide range of litigation, including complex commercial litigation, white collar defense, personal injury tort litigation, and construction law. In addition, David has extensive experience with federal and state qui tam litigation, representing government entities in actions arising under the federal and state False Claims Acts.
- Represent numerous trustees, hedge funds, and institutional investors in residential mortgage-backed securities put-back and servicing litigation.
- Represent relator and numerous governmental entities in a qui tam action brought in the Central District of California against the largest manufacturer of PVC pressure pipe in the United States.
- Represented cast iron pipe manufacturer in litigation stemming from injuries sustained at its Phillipsburg, New Jersey, manufacturing plant.
- Represented the inventors of RSV drug in a licensing dispute with a subsidiary of a multinational pharmaceutical company.
- Represented relators in U.S. ex rel. Washington and Mahoney v. EDMC. The intervened case resulted in the largest settlement ever paid by an educational institution under the False Claims Act.
- Represented Pope Investments LLC in efforts to enforce and collect on a guarantee in connection with investments made in Macau.
Pro bono activities:
David, in conjunction with the Battered Women's Legal Advocacy Project and the New Jersey Battered Women's Service, has represented numerous women seeking final restraining orders against their abusers in state court.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" in New York by Super Lawyers, 2016-2017
News & Events
- Law360, 01.31.2012
- The AmLaw Daily, 01.31.2012
- "President Obama Signs Into Law The Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009"The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, 08.01.2009
J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, cum laude, 2008
B.A., University of Connecticut, magna cum laude, 2004
- State of New York
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court: District of New Jersey
- United States District Court: Southern District of New York