McKool Smith, one of the nation’s leading trial firms, has secured a $145 million patent infringement verdict on behalf of Ottawa, Canada-based WiLAN Inc. against Apple, Inc.
The verdict was announced on August 1, 2018 following a jury trial before Judge Dana M. Sabraw in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California. After 1.5 hours of deliberations, jurors awarded WiLAN $145.1 million in damages finding that Apple infringed WiLAN’s 8,457,145 and 8,537,757 patents, which cover voice over LTE ("VoLTE") wireless communication technology used in many Apple products, including the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus.
The verdict has been widely covered in the media. Reports include:
- Wake Up Call: Apple Tagged With $145 Million Patent Verdict in California (Bloomberg Law)
- Apple Hit With $145M Patent Infringement Verdict (The Recorder)
- Calif. Jury Hits Apple With $145M Verdict In WiLan IP Row (Law360)
- Apple Hit with $145 Million Patent Infringement Verdict (Daily Journal)
- Jury Awards WiLAN $145M for Apple's Patent Infringement (Managing IP)
- Wi-Lan Scores Big Verdict Against Apple (law.com)
- Mike McKool’s $145M Birthday Verdict Against Apple (The Texas Lawbook)
Apple Slapped With $145m Fine Over WiLan Infringement (Intellectual Property Magazine)