Alan Block is a principal in the Los Angeles office of McKool Smith Hennigan, with an emphasis on the litigation of intellectual property matters. His practice focuses primarily on patent litigation and advising clients in post-issuance patent proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He has extensive experience in all aspects of intellectual property law, including litigation through trial of patent, trade dress, and trademark matters, the successful prosecution of patents and trademarks, and licensing. Prior to joining the firm, Alan was a partner at Oppenheimer, Wolff & Donnelly.
Alan has successfully litigated complex patent infringement (both utility and design patents) matters on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants in district courts throughout the United States and before the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals against many of this country’s largest providers of satellite and cable television services; a number of internet companies, including e-retailers and companies providing video content; and software providers.
Alan's experience includes the following technology areas: computer hardware and software; digital audio and video media creation, transmission, and playback; computerized database searches; multithreaded programming; optical lenses; pharmaceutical treatments; water well inspection cameras; kerosene space heaters; Formula One race car clutches; and flashlights.
Prior to joining the firm, Alan successfully prosecuted numerous patents in the area of mechanical devices, biotechnology, and chemistry, and successfully prosecuted applications for trademark registrations.
Rankings & Honors
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized as a leading U.S. patent litigator in the 2012 edition of Legal 500
- Southern California Super Lawyers: 2009-2013
Community & Professional Activities
- President, Los Angeles Intellectual Property Association, 2002-2003
- Co-editor, New Matter, Official Publication of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the State Bar of California, 2005
- Licensed California real estate broker
Media & Events
- Media Coverage: McKool Smith Secures Appellate Win Reviving ABS Entertainment’s Pre-1972 Copyright Suit08.21.2018
- New Matter, 11.01.2008
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, 1989
B.S., Chemical Engineering, Cornell University, 1986
- State of California
- United States District Court for the Central, Southern, and Northern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Federal Circuit Bar