Travis E. DeArman is a trial lawyer and Principal in McKool Smith's Dallas office. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and arbitration and intellectual property litigation, with a particular emphasis on patent litigation. Travis has represented plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state court and confidential arbitration, and managed cases from pre-filing investigation to post-trial briefing. His experience includes intellectual property matters involving a broad range of technology, including telecommunications, digital imaging, lasers, medical devices, general manufacturing equipment and methods, and oil and gas field equipment, as well as a wide range of complex commercial litigation and arbitration.
In 2014, Travis left the private sector to serve as a law clerk for the Honorable J. Rodney Gilstrap, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Texas. During his clerkship, Travis gained experience and perspective from the other side of the bench, assisting Judge Gilstrap with the busiest civil trial docket in the country, as well as serving as Judge Gilstrap’s clerk when he sat by designation at the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Following the expiration of his term as a clerk, Travis returned to the firm in May 2015.
- Hess et. Representing former distributors against defendants for breach of contract related to their retirement commissions.
- Complex Commercial Arbitration. Represented clients in cases involving claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty.
- Centego II, LLC v. MetroSplash Systems Group, Inc. et al. Co-lead trial counsel for corporate and individual defendants and counterclaim plaintiffs in a suit for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Canyon Ridge Resort LLC et al. v. Sterne Agee & Leach Inc. et al. Represented plaintiff hotel development firm against an investment bank for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract.
- Ericsson v. DLink et al. Represented Ericsson as part of trial team that won a jury verdict against Intel, Dell, Toshiba, Acer, Netgear, and DLink in a patent infringement case involving 802.11 wifi standard essential patents.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized by "Best Lawyers in America" as Ones to Watch for Commercial Litigation, 2022-2023
- Named a Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2017-2020
Media & Events
- 21 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2023 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 13 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.17.2022
- 18 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2022 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 11 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Media Coverage: McKool Smith Secures PTAB Trial Win for Albritton Against Acclarent in Surgical Patent Dispute07.16.2018
- Bloomberg report: "Canyon Ridge lawsuit ends after four years and millions in payments to developer"07.07.2015
- McKool Smith successfully secured $3.5 million jury award for six individual clients’ breach-of contract case against Zimmer Biomet08.11.2021
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2010.
B.A., International Relations, University of Southern California, 2007.
- Hon. J. Rodney Gilstrap, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- State of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- State Bar of Texas