Travis E. DeArman is a trial lawyer and Principal in McKool Smith's Dallas office. He focuses on complex commercial litigation and intellectual property litigation. Travis represents plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state court and in arbitration, and manages cases from pre-filing investigation through appeal.
Travis has managed patent litigation involving a broad range of technology, including telecommunications, digital imaging, lasers, medical devices, general manufacturing equipment and methods, and oil and gas field equipment, copyright and trade secret litigation, as well as a wide range of complex commercial litigation and arbitration.
From 2014-2015, Travis served as a law clerk for the Honorable J. Rodney Gilstrap, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Texas. During his clerkship, Travis gained experience and perspective from the other side of the bench, assisting Judge Gilstrap with the busiest civil trial docket in the country.
- In re Pandora Media LLC Copyright Litigation. Served as lead counsel for Spoken Giants, a global rights administration company for the owners and creators of Spoken Word copyrights, and secured dismissal, with prejudice, of antitrust claim filed by Pandora Media LLC.
- Hess et. al. v. Biomet Inc. et al. Secured a multi-million dollar jury verdict and judgment for former Biomet distributors for breach of contract related to their retirement commissions; the case is presently on appeal before the Seventh Circuit.
- Jeff Andrews and Kelly Barker v. USPI Holding Company, et. al. Represented plaintiffs and prospective class representatives in a case involving claims for breach of a stock option program and breach of fiduciary duty in Delaware Federal Court.
- Archer and White Sales Inc. v .Henry Schein Inc. et al. Represented plaintiff dental distribution company brining antitrust claims against several manufacturers and distributors of dental supplies and equipment, in a case that was twice stayed by the United States Supreme Court, before resolving on the eve of trial.
- Centego II, LLC v. MetroSplash Systems Group, Inc. et al. Lead trial counsel for corporate and individual defendants and counterclaim plaintiffs in a suit for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Canyon Ridge Resort LLC et al. v. Sterne Agee & Leach Inc. et al. Represented plaintiff hotel development firm against an investment bank for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract that resulted in a judgment of approximately $30 million that was reported to be the largest in the history of Hamilton County (Chattanooga, Tennessee).
- Ericsson v. DLink et al. Represented Ericsson as part of trial team that won a jury verdict against Intel, Dell, Toshiba, Acer, Netgear, and DLink in a patent infringement case involving 802.11 wifi standard essential patents.
- Complex Commercial and Intellectual Property Arbitration. Represented clients in numerous matters involving (among other things) claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, theft of trade secrets, and unfair competition.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized among the "40 & Under" by Benchmark Litigation, 2023
- Named a "Best Lawyer Under 40" by D Magazine, 2023
- Recognized by "Best Lawyers in America" as Ones to Watch for Commercial Litigation, 2022-2023
- Named a Texas "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2017-2020
Media & Events
- 31 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2023 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 13 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.17.2022
- 17 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2022 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 11 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Bloomberg report: "Canyon Ridge lawsuit ends after four years and millions in payments to developer"07.07.2015
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2010.
B.A., International Relations, University of Southern California, 2007.
- Hon. J. Rodney Gilstrap, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- State of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- State Bar of Texas