Radu A. Lelutiu is a principal in McKool Smith’s New York office. He has a broad litigation practice, with a special emphasis on patent litigation and other complex commercial disputes. He has litigated high-profile cases in federal and state courts around the country and in arbitral tribunals around the world.
Radu received his legal education at Columbia Law School, where he was a Harlan Fiske Scholar. He received his undergraduate education (summa cum laude) at Hunter College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
While in law school, Radu served as a judicial intern for Judge Robert A. Katzmann, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Radu is the author of “Managing Requests for Enforcement of Vacated Awards under the New York Convention,” 14 Am. Rev. Int’l Arb. 345 (2003), and a co-author (with Stephen Fraidin) of “Strategic Alliances and Corporate Control,” 53 Case W. Res. L. Rev. 865 (2003).
Prior to joining McKool Smith, Radu was an associate with Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP.
Radu is fluent in Romanian.
- Representation of a leading manufacturer of smart-cards in enforcing fundamental patents that enable the use of the Java programming language on resource-constrained devices.
- Representation of one of the world’s preeminent cellular technology development and licensing companies in several patent and antitrust litigations.
- Representation of a leading pharmaceutical company in enforcing patents covering anti-viral and anti-hypertension compounds.
- Representation of a biotechnology company and three academic institutions in enforcing patents covering the regulation of NF-kB, a cellular signaling molecule.
- Representation of a manufacturer of laboratory equipment in a patent and antitrust litigation.
- Representation of a leading manufacturer of medical devices in antitrust litigation brought by a competitor.
- Representation of a leading manufacturer of eye care products and its Swiss parent in a licensing dispute worth billions of dollars.
- Representation of a technology company in a precedent-setting effort to enforce a non-competition agreement.
- Representation of a leading law firm in a multiforum litigation concerning the law firm’s ability to serve as counsel in a hostile M&A transaction.
- Representation of a Mexican beer supplier in a dispute concerning an import contract worth billions of dollars.
- Representation of a Mexican industrial conglomerate in a dispute with a German joint venturer over corporate control.
- Representation of technology companies, consulting companies, media companies, and financial institutions in securities litigations and commercial disputes.
- Representation of the city of New York in litigation concerning taxation of line-of-duty injury compensation, resulting in the second largest tax refund in the city’s history and a modification to the Internal Revenue Code.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" in New York by Super Lawyers, 2013-2014
News & Events
J.D., Columbia Law School
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 2002-2003
- Notes editor, Columbia Journal of International Law
B.A. summa cum laude, Hunter College
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Philosophy, Music, and Special Honors
- New York State Bar