Zachary W. Mazin tries complex civil cases arising out of business disputes, structured financial products, and governmental investigations. He represents several trustees of residential mortgage-backed securitizations in actions seeking to recover billions of dollars from the investment banks who packaged and sold defective mortgage loans to unwitting investors. His RMBS work has earned him a spot on Lawdragon’s “500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers” list (2019-2021) and Benchmark Litigation’s “Under 40 Hot List” (2016-2019) and “Future Star” list (2018-2022).
Zach is also an advisor to clients working in the business of sports. He counsels and represents team executives, players, and football agents, and he is a NFLPA-certified contract advisor. Zach began his career representing Royal Bank of Canada in the Enron securities class action litigation. Zach and his team obtained a dismissal of RBC from the Enron investors’ lawsuit that wrongly sought to hold RBC liable for the losses caused by Enron’s fraudulent activity. He also represented RBC in a dispute with Rabobank over its obligation to pay on a $517 million Enron-related credit default swap.
Additionally, Zach has handled disputes arising out of commercial contracts, business torts, and commercial leases.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized in the guide to the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2022
- Recognized among Lawdragon's 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2019-2022)
- Recognized in the Benchmark Litigation "Under 40 Hot List," which honors the achievements of the nation’s most accomplished legal partners of the age of forty or younger, 2016-2019
- Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a "Future Star" (2018-2023)
Media & Events
- 21 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2022 Guide to the 500 Leading Litigators in America10.04.2022
- 19 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2022 Guide to the 500 Leading Financial Lawyers07.08.2022
- New York Law Journal reports "Trustee Bank Asks NY High Court to Allow It to Revive Lawsuit Over Mortgage-Backed Securities Collapse"05.20.2022
- 16 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2021 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers08.18.2021
- 16 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2020 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers08.26.2020
- 14 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2019 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers09.19.2019
- Zach Mazin, Ashley Moore, and Joshua Newcomer Recognized in Benchmark Litigation’s “Under 40 Hotlist”08.14.2017
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2003
B.A., with Honors, University of Florida, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York