Zachary W. Mazin tries complex civil cases arising out of business disputes, structured financial products, and governmental investigations. Currently, he represents trustees of residential mortgage-backed securitizations in actions seeking to recover billions of dollars from the investment banks who packaged and sold defective mortgage loans to unwitting investors. His RMBS work has earned him spots on Lawdragon’s “500 Leading Litigators in America” list (2022-2024), “500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers” list (2019-2023) and Benchmark Litigation’s “Under 40 Hot List” (2016-2019) and “Future Star” list (2018-2024).
Zach is also an advisor to clients working in the business of sports. He counsels and represents team executives, players, and football agents.
Zach began his career representing a major international bank in the Enron securities class action litigation. Zach and his team obtained a dismissal of the bank from the Enron investors’ lawsuit that wrongly sought to hold it liable for the losses caused by Enron’s fraudulent activity. He also represented the bank in a dispute over its obligation to pay on a $517 million Enron-related credit default swap.
Zach also handles disputes arising out of commercial contracts, business torts, and commercial leases.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized in the guide to the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America (2022, 2024)
- Recognized among Lawdragon's 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2019-2023)
- Recognized in the Benchmark Litigation "Under 40 Hot List," which honors the achievements of the nation’s most accomplished legal partners of the age of forty or younger, (2016-2019)
- Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a "Future Star" (2018-2024)
Media & Events
- 19 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2023 Guide to the 500 Leading Financial Lawyers05.26.2023
- 20 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2022 Guide to the 500 Leading Litigators in America10.04.2022
- 19 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2022 Guide to the 500 Leading Financial Lawyers07.08.2022
- New York Law Journal reports "Trustee Bank Asks NY High Court to Allow It to Revive Lawsuit Over Mortgage-Backed Securities Collapse"05.20.2022
- 16 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2021 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers08.18.2021
- 16 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2020 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers08.26.2020
- 14 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2019 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers09.19.2019
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2003
B.A., with Honors, University of Florida, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York