Courtney Statfeld has extensive experience handling complex commercial disputes. She is particularly skilled in crafting creative and strategic solutions for disputes arising out of structured finance, complex financial products, securities, and intellectual property matters, which have helped secure hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements for her clients. Courtney has litigated in state and federal courts across the country. Her clients include leading hedge funds, private equity firms, investment advisors, institutional investors, international banks, and Fortune 500 companies.
For nearly a decade, Courtney has focused on litigation involving complex financial products, including residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS). Her experience includes working on the preeminent case in the RMBS arena and obtaining a series of rulings, including at summary judgment, that set the basic framework for RMBS litigation nationwide. She has handled complex cases from inception to settlement, including on behalf of monoline insurers and several large financial institutions, as trustees and investors, in numerous federal and state court actions alleging fraud, breach of contract, and misrepresentations concerning pools of mortgage loans that underlie residential mortgage-backed securities that were securitized and sold to investors. She also handles motion practice, document and deposition discovery, expert discovery, trial preparation, and appellate briefing. She litigates aggressively for her clients such that many of her cases settle favorably in the middle of discovery.
Courtney is known for her tireless dedication to client service, and building close, long-term relationships that enable her to proactively identify and address her clients’ needs. Her courtroom achievements have earned her recognition as a “rising star” by both Super Lawyers and Benchmark Litigation.
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- Represented an insurance company in its $5 billion lawsuit against Bank of America and various countrywide entities alleging breach of contract and fraud in the procurement of financial guaranty insurance of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented a hedge fund in pursuing claims for the repurchase of mortgages worth more than $3 billion due to breaches of contractual representations and warranties.
- In a multijurisdictional dispute between a real estate investment trust and former co-owners of a portfolio company, obtained summary judgment on breach of contract claims asserted by—and dismissal of breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims asserted against—the investment trust.
- Represented one of the country's largest pharmaceutical companies in a patent infringement claim; obtained summary judgment asserted by the company against the infringer on all counts.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized among Lawdragon's 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2019)
- Recognized in the Benchmark Litigation "Under 40 Hot List," which honors the achievements of the nation’s most accomplished legal partners of the age of forty or younger, 2019-2020
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" in New York by Super Lawyers, 2015-2018
Media & Events
- Courtney Statfeld was quoted in "Covid-19 Has Commercial Real Estate Tied in Knots, As Lockdown Ease in New York City and Other Major Cities," published by MarketWatch06.23.2020
- 20 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2019 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers09.19.2019
- Courtney Statfeld Tippett Speaks with American Banker About Municipal Suits Against Banks Under the Fair Housing Act06.19.2017
- Courtney Statfeld will Moderate a Panel on "Leaders Building Leaders" at the Benchmark Women in Litigation Forum08.20.2019
J.D., Emory University School of Law, 2007
- Notes and comments editor, Emory Law Journal
- Executive board, Emory Mock Trial Society
- Order of Emory Advocates
- Kessler-Eidson Trial Scholar, 2007
B.A., magna cum laude, Sociology and Communications, University of Pennsylvania, 2003
- Benjamin Franklin Honors Program
- The State Bar of New York
- The State Bar of New Jersey
- United States District Court: District of New Jersey
- Southern District of New York