Courtney Statfeld is a principal in the New York office of McKool Smith. She focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation and intellectual property and is experienced in matters pertaining to complex financial products, securities law ,and patent infringement.
Courtney is a member of the firm’s mortgage-backed securities task force and regularly represents hedge funds and institutional investors in pursuing recoveries on MBS portfolios.
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- Represented an insurance company in its $5 billion lawsuit against Bank of America and various countrywide entities alleging breach of contract and fraud in the procurement of financial guaranty insurance of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented a hedge fund in pursuing claims for the repurchase of mortgages worth more than $3 billion due to breaches of contractual representations and warranties.
- In a multijurisdictional dispute between a real estate investment trust and former co-owners of a portfolio company, obtained summary judgment on breach of contract claims asserted by—and dismissal of breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims asserted against—the investment trust.
- Represented one of the country's largest pharmaceutical companies in a patent infringement claim; obtained summary judgment asserted by the company against the infringer on all counts.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized in the Benchmark Litigation "Under 40 Hot List," which honors the achievements of the nation’s most accomplished legal partners of the age of forty or younger, 2018
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" in New York by Super Lawyers, 2015-2017
Media & Events
- Courtney Statfeld Tippett Speaks with American Banker About Municipal Suits Against Banks Under the Fair Housing Act06.19.2017
J.D., Emory University School of Law, 2007
- Notes and comments editor, Emory Law Journal
- Executive board, Emory Mock Trial Society
- Order of Emory Advocates
- Kessler-Eidson Trial Scholar, 2007
B.A., magna cum laude, Sociology and Communications, University of Pennsylvania, 2003
- Benjamin Franklin Honors Program
- The State Bar of New York
- The State Bar of New Jersey
- United States District Court: District of New Jersey
- Southern District of New York