Courtney Statfeld has extensive experience handling large-scale litigations involving complex financial products, particularly mortgage-backed securities (MBS). She crafts creative and strategic solutions for disputes arising out of structured financial products, securities, and intellectual property matters. Her clients include trustees, hedge funds, private equity firms, investment advisors, institutional investors, international banks, and Fortune 500 companies. Courtney is known for her tireless dedication to client service and building close, long-term relationships that enable her to proactively identify and address her clients’ needs. She is one of only two women featured in a Spotlight Table by Chambers USA in the “Litigation: Securities – Institutional Plaintiffs” category. Courtney has also been recognized among the “500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers” by Lawdragon and named to the “Under 40 Hot List” by Benchmark Litigation.
Notably, she obtained a series of rulings—including at summary judgment—that set the basic framework for MBS litigation nationwide. Courtney handles complex cases from inception to settlement, including on behalf of monoline insurers and large financial institutions, as trustees, in federal and state court actions alleging fraud, misrepresentations and breach of contract concerning pools of mortgage loans that underlie MBS, which were securitized and sold to investors. She has prosecuted and defended claims for breach of contract, fraud, business torts, and state and federal securities violations, including claims related to collateralized debt obligations, residential and commercial MBS, indenture bonds, and bond insurance, helping investors and insurers recover more than $1 billion in losses.
She litigates aggressively for her clients, such that many of her cases settle favorably prior to trial. Courtney has litigated in state and federal courts across the country, including in New York, New Jersey, Delaware, California, Louisiana and Georgia.
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- Represented an insurance company in its $5 billion lawsuit against Bank of America and various countrywide entities alleging breach of contract and fraud in the procurement of financial guaranty insurance of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented a hedge fund in pursuing claims for the repurchase of mortgages worth more than $3 billion due to breaches of contractual representations and warranties.
- In a multijurisdictional dispute between a real estate investment trust and former co-owners of a portfolio company, obtained summary judgment on breach of contract claims asserted by—and dismissal of breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims asserted against—the investment trust.
- Represented one of the country's largest pharmaceutical companies in a patent infringement claim; obtained summary judgment asserted by the company against the infringer on all counts.
Rankings & Honors
- Ranked as a leading lawyer in New York for Litigation: Securities – Institutional Plaintiffs by Chambers USA. The 2021 edition notes "working with Courtney is a real pleasure. She is excellent in terms of responsiveness and knowledge, particularly in the RMBS world."
- Recognized among Lawdragon's 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2019-2020)
- Recognized in the Benchmark Litigation "Under 40 Hot List," which honors the achievements of the nation’s most accomplished legal partners of the age of forty or younger, 2017-2020
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" in New York by Super Lawyers, 2015-2018
Media & Events
- 18 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2020 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers08.26.2020
- Courtney Statfeld was quoted in "Covid-19 Has Commercial Real Estate Tied in Knots, As Lockdown Ease in New York City and Other Major Cities," published by MarketWatch06.23.2020
- 17 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2019 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers09.19.2019
- Courtney Statfeld Tippett Speaks with American Banker About Municipal Suits Against Banks Under the Fair Housing Act06.19.2017
- Courtney Statfeld will Moderate a Panel on "Leaders Building Leaders" at the Benchmark Women in Litigation Forum08.20.2019
J.D., Emory University School of Law, 2007
- Notes and comments editor, Emory Law Journal
- Executive board, Emory Mock Trial Society
- Order of Emory Advocates
- Kessler-Eidson Trial Scholar, 2007
B.A., magna cum laude, Sociology and Communications, University of Pennsylvania, 2003
- Benjamin Franklin Honors Program
- The State Bar of New York
- The State Bar of New Jersey
- United States District Court: District of New Jersey
- Southern District of New York