John Briody is a principal in McKool Smith’s New York office. John advises clients in a wide range of complex commercial disputes. He focuses on antitrust litigation and litigation arising from financial transactions. John has been recognized by The National Law Journal as a "Winning Litigator" and by Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star." His litigation success has also been recognized by the American Antitrust Institute.
Prior to joining McKool Smith, John served as a law clerk for the Honorable Joanna Seybert of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Prior to attending law school, he worked as an analyst for the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and as a mutual fund accountant.
- Represents a group of independent service organizations in monopolization and attempted monopolization claims against General Electric and affiliates. Obtained a $43.8 million (trebled $131.4 million) jury verdict against GE
- Represented and served as co-lead trial counsel for a certified class of consumer packaged goods manufacturers, including Dial Corporation, Henkel Consumer Goods, Smithfield Foods Inc., HP Hood LLC, BEF Foods Inc., Kraft Heinz Foods and Foster Poultry Farms in exclusive dealing and monopolization claims against News Corporation and affiliated entities. Obtained a $244 million settlement for the class, as well as an agreement by News Corporation to alter its challenged contracting practices
- Represents a putative class of Uber riders alleging price-fixing claims against Uber founder Travis Kalanick
- Representation of Becton, Dickinson and Company, a medical supply manufacturer, in litigation brought by a competitor alleging exclusive dealing, monopolization, and attempted monopolization claims
- Representation of mortgage-backed securities (MBS) investors and trustees in connection with various claims to maximize recoveries on their MBS holdings, including put-back claims
- Representation of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. in litigation concerning mortgage loan servicing
- Advised Freddie Mac in connection with issues arising from the New York Department of Finance’s Plan of Rehabilitation for Financial Guaranty Insurance Company (FGIC)
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- Represented companies in a wide array of antitrust matters, spanning across multiple industries, including banking and financial services, insurance, healthcare, automotive, printing, and pharmaceuticals
- Represented lead investor in connection with a breach of fiduciary and aiding and abetting claim arising from the $7 billion recapitalization of National City Corporation, a publicly traded bank holding company
- Represented Blackstone in breach of contract lawsuit arising from dispute with potential franchisee
Rankings & Honors
Named among The National Law Journal’s “Winning Litigators” (2017).
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" in New York by Super Lawyers (2014).
News & Events
- The National Law Journal, 09.28.2017
J.D., summa cum laude, St. John's University School of Law, 2003
- Executive Articles Editor, St. John's Law Review
B.A., Economics, The College of the Holy Cross, 1996
- State of New York
- The U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit