John Briody is a principal in McKool Smith’s New York office. John advises clients in a wide range of complex commercial disputes. He focuses on antitrust litigation, litigation arising from financial transactions, and insurance recovery. John has been recognized by The National Law Journal as a "Winning Litigator" and by Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star." His litigation success has also been recognized by the American Antitrust Institute.
Prior to joining McKool Smith, John served as a law clerk for the Honorable Joanna Seybert of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Prior to attending law school, he worked as an analyst for the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and as a mutual fund accountant.
- Represents a group of independent service organizations in monopolization and attempted monopolization claims against General Electric and affiliates. Obtained a $43.8 million (trebled $131.4 million) jury verdict against GE
- Represented and served as co-lead trial counsel for a certified class of consumer packaged goods manufacturers, including Dial Corporation, Henkel Consumer Goods, Smithfield Foods Inc., HP Hood LLC, BEF Foods Inc., Kraft Heinz Foods and Foster Poultry Farms in exclusive dealing and monopolization claims against News Corporation and affiliated entities. Obtained a $244 million settlement for the class, as well as an agreement by News Corporation to alter its challenged contracting practices
- Representation of Becton, Dickinson and Company, a medical supply manufacturer, in litigation brought by a competitor alleging exclusive dealing, monopolization, and attempted monopolization claims
- Representation of mortgage-backed securities (MBS) investors and trustees in connection with various claims to maximize recoveries on their MBS holdings, including put-back claims
- Representation of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. in litigation concerning mortgage loan servicing
- Advised Freddie Mac in connection with issues arising from the New York Department of Finance’s Plan of Rehabilitation for Financial Guaranty Insurance Company (FGIC)
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- Represented companies in a wide array of antitrust matters, spanning across multiple industries, including banking and financial services, insurance, healthcare, automotive, printing, and pharmaceuticals
- Represented lead investor in connection with a breach of fiduciary and aiding and abetting claim arising from the $7 billion recapitalization of National City Corporation, a publicly traded bank holding company
- Represented Blackstone in breach of contract lawsuit arising from dispute with potential franchisee
Rankings & Honors
- Selected as one of Lawdragon's guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2020)
- Recognized among Lawdragon's 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2019)
- Named among The National Law Journal’s “Winning Litigators” (2017).
- Selected for New York Metro Super Lawyers (2018).
- Recognized in New York by Super Lawyers (2014, 2018-2020).
Media & Events
- 18 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2020 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers08.26.2020
- 17 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2019 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers09.19.2019
- The National Law Journal, 09.28.2017
J.D., summa cum laude, St. John's University School of Law, 2003
- Executive Articles Editor, St. John's Law Review
B.A., Economics, The College of the Holy Cross, 1996
- Hon. Joanna Seybert, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- State of New York
- The U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit