Kyle Lonergan is a principal in the New York office of McKool Smith. Kyle focuses on complex commercial litigation as well as bankruptcy litigation, antitrust, auditor liability, and contract disputes, including insurance coverage and mortgage-backed securities (MBS) disputes. Kyle has been involved in several high-profile matters. Recently, he represented Freddie Mac in a $1 billion lawsuit against Deloitte & Touche that settled on the eve of trial.
In MBS matters, Kyle represents holders of MBS to maximize recoveries on their investments through litigation and settlement. His experience in asset-backed securities litigation dates back more than a decade to his work on the National Century Financial Enterprises (NCFE) multidistrict litigation, which arose from what the U.S. government at the time called the largest private company fraud in history.
Kyle has also handled several pro bono matters involving environmental issues. He has represented the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and other environmental groups in litigation that has resulted in significant protections for some of the country’s most important national parks, including Everglades National Park in Florida and Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.
- Biopharmaceutical disputes. Represented two early-stage biopharmaceutical companies in their contractual disputes with an acquiring international drug company and a licensing university.
- Directors & officers litigation. Defended several executives of music streaming service in lawsuit brought by major music label in connection with company’s bankruptcy filing.
- Freddie Mac v. Deloitte. Represented Freddie Mac in litigation against Deloitte in which Freddie Mac alleged over $1 billion in damages resulting from Deloitte’s flawed audits of Taylor Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp. (TBW), which was the largest independent mortgage lender in the United States that collapsed into bankruptcy in 2009. The litigation settled on the eve of trial.
- Insurance coverage litigation. Represented claimant in insurance coverage litigation against several U.S.-based and international insurance companies. Client was the only one of four claimants to obtain a recovery.
- MBS put-back litigation. Represents investors in connection with their efforts to maximize recoveries on their MBS holdings through litigation and settlement.
- Ocala Funding LLC litigation. Defended party against fraudulent transfer claims of over $800 million by Debtor Ocala Funding LLC and its litigation trust.
- ResCap LLC litigation. Represented large creditor and MBS holder in ResCap bankruptcy proceeding, including with respect to the debtors’ $8 billion MBS settlement.
- “Pay-to-play” litigation. Represented prominent individual and his investment fund in litigation arising from the New York Attorney General’s "pay-to-play” pension fund investigation. Awarded dismissal with prejudice of all claims against clients.
Prior to joining McKool Smith:
- National Century Financial Enterprises (NCFE). Represented three former executives of JPMorgan Chase in multidistrict litigation arising from what the U.S. government at the time called the largest private company fraud in history.
- Travelers. Represented St. Paul and Travelers companies in insurance coverage action brought by Pfizer subsidiary, Warner Lambert, and American Optical against more than two dozen insurers and involving over 225,000 underlying claims.
- Viacom, Paramount, and Sumner Redstone. Represented Viacom, Paramount, and Sumner Redstone in federal and state antitrust actions alleging horizontal and vertical conspiracies and price discrimination. Awarded directed verdict after trial in federal action.
- British Energy. Represented British Energy in arbitration concerning power purchase contract. Final award issued in favor of client, denying all of plaintiff’s claims.
- Royal Indemnity. Represented Royal Indemnity in insurance coverage matter against General Motors. Awarded summary judgment.
- The Blackstone Group. Represented The Blackstone Group in contract dispute with potential franchisee.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized for commercial litigation in New York by Chambers USA, 2017 and 2018
Community & Professional Activities
- Member, Environmental Law Committee, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Media & Events
J.D., Stanford Law School, 2000
- Associate editor, Environmental Law Journal
M.E.S., Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, 1995
B.A, with Distinction, Yale University, 1992
- State of New York
- The U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- The U.S. Court of International Trade
- The U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for District of Columbia Circuit
- State Bar of New York
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York