Ryan McBeth is a Principal based in McKool Smith's Houston office and represents clients in complex commercial disputes with a focus towards technology related litigation. Ryan has extensive experience representing clients in patent, trade secret, and trademark matters. In particular, he has worked on cases involving oil and gas downhole tools, wellsite surface systems, computer hardware and software, wireless communications systems, and other complex commercial and consumer systems. Ryan’s work also encompasses appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and Inter Partes Review of patents before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Ryan has represented numerous Fortune 500 clients including oilfield services providers and computer manufacturers and he has experience advocating for clients in front of both Texas and Federal Courts.
Before pursuing a career in law, Ryan worked as a computer engineer at IBM, overseeing enterprise class microprocessor and server development projects. Ryan earned a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin and is an inventor on U.S. Patent No. 7,881,826.
Ryan is admitted to practice in Texas and before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Prior to joining the firm:
- Represented Chemoil Corporation as Plaintiff in patent infringement action against ProFuel, LLC, EDTX
- Represented Baker Hughes as Plaintiff in patent infringement action against Production Tool Solution, Inc., WDTX
- Defended Baker Hughes in patent infringement action involving offshore drilling technologies against Smith International, Inc., DED
- Represented Baker Hughes as Plaintiff in patent infringement action against Smith International, Inc., SDTX
- Defended Conroe Machine and LEAM Drilling Services in trade secret misappropriation action involving downhole drilling technologies, Montgomery County, 410th District Court
- Represented Oil States Energy Services, LLC at Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Represented Oil States Energy Services, LLC in patent infringement and breach of contract action involving wellhead isolation technologies, EDTX
- Represented Repros Therapeutics at Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Pursued declaratory judgment action regarding patent inventorship for Repros Therapeutics, SDTX
- Defended Hewlett Packard in patent infringement action involving microprocessor architecture patents, EDTX
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized by "Best Lawyers in America" as Ones to Watch for Commercial and IP Litigation, 2023
Media & Events
- Federal Circuit Passes Torch From Juries to Judges for Willful Infringement Determinations, Ryan McBeth et
al., Lexology, June 25, 2012
- Innovators Take Note, “Imitation Two-Year Provisional” Option Extended Through 2012, Ryan McBeth et al.,
Intellectual Property Today, April 3, 2012
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 2011
- Dean's Scholarship Recipient 2008-2011
B.S., Electrical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2003
- State of Texas
- The U. S. Patent & Tradmark Office
- The U. S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Houston Bar Association