McKool Smith and the firm's trial lawyers surged once again in the 2019 edition of Chambers USA, which recognizes the firm as a leader across five key focus areas, including commercial litigation, intellectual property, insurance recovery, securities litigation, and bankruptcy/restructuring. Also, several of the firm's trial lawyers are recognized as leaders in their respective areas of practice.
McKool Smith is ranked as one of the top law firms in the nation for both intellectual property and insurance: dispute resolution - policyholder. The publication also recognizes the firm as a leading firm in Texas for commercial litigation, intellectual property, and bankruptcy/restructuring, and a leading firm in California for commercial litigation. In New York, McKool Smith is recognized as a leading firm for representing policyholders in insurance disputes and institutional plaintiffs in securities litigation.
When speaking about McKool Smith, clients interviewed by Chambers note that "They're really outstanding. They have top-tier trial talent and when you get to trial, you have all of the tools necessary to be really successful." Market commentators also noted that "They have been at the top of the game for a long time and do a great job for clients," and that "Their strengths are their ability to formulate strategy and their ability in the courtroom."
The firm's Chambers ranked/recognized lawyers include:
- Sam Baxter: Intellectual Property Litigation and General Commercial Litigation (Texas)
- Douglas Cawley: Intellectual Property Litigation (Texas)
- Roderick Dorman: Intellectual Property: Patent (California)
- J. Michael Hennigan: General Commercial Litigation (California)
- William LaFuze: Intellectual Property Litigation (Texas)
- Lew LeClair: General Commercial Litigation (Texas)
- Mike McKool: Trial Lawyers (Nationwide); Trial Lawyers, Intellectual Property Litigation and General Commercial Litigation (Texas)
- Steven Pollinger: Intellectual Property Litigation (Texas)
- Hugh Ray: Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Texas)
- Robert Scheef: Securities - Institutional Plaintiffs (New York)
- Willie Wood: Litigation – Energy and Natural Resources (Texas)
Chambers USA is compiled by Chambers and Partners, a London-based publisher of guides to the world's leading law firms and lawyers. To compile the 2019 edition, researchers conducted more than 10,000 interviews with attorneys and business leaders from across the U.S. The final list can be viewed here.